PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP - Seahorses - Vancouver

Lizardmen
10-23-2013, 09:24 PM
I am looking for some captive bred seahorse. I don't want to buy wild-caught. I have heard that there is a local breeder in the lower mainland. If anyone has info, please pm me.

Thanks so much in advance!

apexifd
10-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Trading of wild caught is prohibited, all the one you see in the store are captive bred.

The ones in JL are captive bred and eats frozen mysis

xoticlover
10-23-2013, 10:45 PM
Most are not captive bred but "net raised" and are still in the open ocean but in net pens

rayjay
10-24-2013, 03:04 AM
Actually, net pen raised are old hat now. The current seahorses are mostly raised in large round cement vats using ocean water that is NOT sufficiently treated and filtered for pathogens so the only advantage they, or the net pen ones have over wild caught is that they are trained to eat frozen food. (mysis)
MOST seahorses coming into Canada and the US are basically cement tank raised but many stores have been misled, or are misleading their customers claiming them to be true captive bred.
Some of the seahorses coming into Canada ARE true captive bred but most are still tank raised.
For sure, the erectus that Sea U Marine (near Toronto) sells are captive bred.
True captive bred would be those raised in commercial salt water like I.O., or in ocean water that HAS been sufficiently treated and filtered to remove the pathogens.