PDA

View Full Version : Power Consumption Of A Reeflo Dart vs 1 WP40+2 Hydor Powerheads

input80
10-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Here's a good question for the electricity gurus out there. My major concern is that the 120 I got came with a Reeflo Dart pump plumbed in for a closed loop. I have revamped it (lowered the plumbinghttp://dealspy-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=1442610#) dims from 2x1.5" bulkheads to 1 bulkhead into 2", then the ups are from 1.5 to 1" split into 3 Y loclines, which are .5"). My main concern is, would I be better off taking it out and keeping 2 hydor powerheads + 1 WP40 instead ? It looks like I can get more flow with the powerheads only, maybe the loclines are too small ?
Please let me know what you all think ? Although I don't pay the hydro bill, I just don't need the landlord knocking on my door.

mike31154
10-23-2013, 01:32 AM
Need to know the wattage/power consumption of the components you're comparing! Should be on the data plate(s) or in the literature. Once you have that, you don't need an electricity guru, you just need to do the math. Other than that, the thing that comes to mind is that propeller pumps like Koralias & WP40s generally produce a broader flow pattern than a bunch of narrow closed loop openings. So depends on what you're looking for in that regard too.

PFoster
10-23-2013, 02:18 AM
You are running a lot of restriction on the dart too and would have way more flow with bigger return diameters.
Sequence pumps are flow biased pump and can produce a lot of flow if there is no restriction but the flow rates drop off pretty quick with restriction.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-23-2013, 03:46 AM
I've never been big fan of big external pumps on closed loops. I think even one WP40 would be sufficient for a 120g. I have a single WP60 on my 6' 165g and its turned down to lowest setting. Of course I'm not full-blown sps so that setting great for LPS heavy system. I could push water on my floor easily by upping WP60's flow to highest but that's just silly:razz:

input80
10-23-2013, 04:05 AM
Well, thank you for offering to help me set this up when you come to pick up the fish *grin*

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Well, thank you for offering to help me set this up when you come to pick up the fish *grin*

I've never set up a closed loop. Never liked them. Never wanted one on my system. Now if you want a WP powerhead set up, I'm your guy ;P

e46er
10-23-2013, 08:34 AM
According to reeflo website
A dart uses 148watts/3600gph at zero head pressure which a closed loop is at.
Mp40 uses 9-28 watts according to JL
The hydor power heads also use nothing the 1500 gph evolution uses 6watts.

The power difference is a fair amount but not a huge $$ difference . Where We live it will be around $6/month

input80
10-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Yes, I meant the WP40 setup, not the closed loop, its already there. The debate inside my head is basically "to closed loop or not to closed loop" lol. Also maybe some kind of assistance with the Neptune controller too :)