PDA

View Full Version : Head is spinning ( Skimmers)

fooman
10-22-2013, 05:15 AM
Okay i have been trying to do as much research as i can on a skimmer for my new tank build . But the more i read the more i am confused as what to buy.
I am building a 150 with a 30 gallon sump and i am looking for a in sump skimmer . I know i should spend a lot on the skimmer but i only have between 200 and 400 at the very most . Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advance .

AdamsB
10-22-2013, 05:57 AM
I've got the cad lights tia 1150 rated for up to 150 gallons running on my 90 gallon medium stocked (probably 100 gallon total volume with sump added and rock displacement) and I love it. They make models rated right up to 350-400 gallons. I was in the same position when I was looking. I opted for this after hearing great reviews.

Can take a bit of getting use to but now if I clean my cup and change the setting I can dial it in within seconds by looking at the bubble level. Harder to do with a dirty cup though. I'll admit that this is the only in tank skimmer I've ever had so I'm a little bias. But cost and performance are hard to beat in my eyes.

Magickiwi
10-22-2013, 01:25 PM
First post is a good question. Welcome aboard!

I have a Tunze 9016 for my 90g+15g sump and it is waaaay overkill for my system. I would think you'd be able to use something along the same size, it was just a hair over your high end though. I've heard good things about the bubble magus skimmers, which seem in your price range.

IanWR
10-22-2013, 01:43 PM
I am running a bubble magus curve 7 on my 70g. I could have gone with the curve 5, but I had the room so I thought what the heck. :). I have no complaints. Runs fairly quiet, just slightly louder than the speedwave 1320 on the second lowest setting. Easily adjustable, and seems to stay put once dialed in.

- Ian

michika
10-22-2013, 02:15 PM
I am building a 150 with a 30 gallon sump and i am looking for a in sump skimmer . I know i should spend a lot on the skimmer but i only have between 200 and 400 at the very most . Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advance .

Hey Fooman,

Some questions for you;

- What kind of tank are you shooting for? Fish only? Reef?
- What kind of space do you have in your sump for a skimmer?
- Do you have any other limitations? E.g. height, needs a drain, etc.

Sounds like you probably need a reasonably sized skimmer with a 150g, now the question becomes how much of a bioload do you think you'll have. Bioload is relatable to skimmer size. E.g. I have a lot of fish, so I run two XL skimmers.

Some other recommendations for you; look for second hand equipment, you can save some big $$ and get into equipment that you normally wouldn't look at. Also do you're OWN research. Its a good habit to get into and it will probably save you in the future a few times.

Fesso
10-22-2013, 02:17 PM
If you are at all handy you should check out the Avast CS1. It is hands down the best bang for the buck. It's a recirculating skimmer with a Sicce PSK1000 pump that can handle up to 200G for under $350 shipped. What's the catch? You have to build it yourself.
I have been running mine for 4 months now and it kicks butt! The build was super easy.
http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/youbuilt/CS1-Cone-Skimmer-Kit

And it's super sexy smoked acrylic!
http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/images/store/cs1-blackpearl_md.png

fooman
10-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the recommendations . This is only one of many questions i have about my new tank set up . I think i am leaning towards Cad Light TIA 1220. Any other opinions are still needed and wanted . The tank i am going for to start with is a FOWLR but i will be trying a reef down the road and i only want to have it stalked moderately.

michika
10-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the recommendations . This is only one of many questions i have about my new tank set up . I think i am leaning towards Cad Light TIA 1220. Any other opinions are still needed and wanted . The tank i am going for to start with is a FOWLR but i will be trying a reef down the road and i only want to have it stalked moderately.

Octopus skimmers have been good to me for many years. Their diablo line currently is great, albeit I have had issues with one of my pumps. That aside the skimmers I have make some of the most foulest skimmate I've ever (unfortunately) been exposed to.

NjOy
10-26-2013, 04:07 PM
you wont be disapointed with CADLights
they are quiet; low power wattage and good waranty.

GoFish
10-27-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm dealing with the worst customer service in my life with cadlights, very poor warranty if any :(

LoJack
10-27-2013, 03:55 AM
I've got a Reef Octopus Xtreme XS 250 and love it. Great bang for buck. Sicce pump, quieter than my last Tunze skimmer. I think its got great value

byee
10-27-2013, 04:11 AM
If you are at all handy you should check out the Avast CS1. It is hands down the best bang for the buck. It's a recirculating skimmer with a Sicce PSK1000 pump that can handle up to 200G for under $350 shipped. What's the catch? You have to build it yourself.
I have been running mine for 4 months now and it kicks butt! The build was super easy.
http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/youbuilt/CS1-Cone-Skimmer-Kit

And it's super sexy smoked acrylic!
http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/images/store/cs1-blackpearl_md.png

Fesso,

Where did you order skimmer from? It's very similar to the Bubble Magus Curve series I'm considering for my 45gal cube.

Have you looked at or considered the BM Curve 5?

I'm dealing with the worst customer service in my life with cadlights, very poor warranty if any :(

Vancity,

Thanks for your opinion!

CADLights is off my list.

Short listed my choice to the BM Curve 5 or the Avast CS1.

Anyone else have the Avast CS1? Opinions?

Insguy
10-27-2013, 02:18 PM
The BM is a great product I run the curve 9 and have no complaints.

fooman
10-28-2013, 06:03 AM
Well I have decided to go with the BM curve 9.

Ginu
10-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Well I have decided to go with the BM curve 9.

I have a 75gallon tank and went with the Curve 7 which I think its overkill for my application, but 8 months or so in, the skimmer is working like a charm (it is very sensitive to water level though). Never had any issues.