http://aquahome.no-ip.com/suncoralprob.jpg

Walter

Stretch
07-03-2004, 11:11 PM
have you been feeding it? If so how much/often

whaase
07-03-2004, 11:15 PM
have you been feeding it? If so how much/often

I've been trying to feed it. I've managed to get it to come out about 1/3 of the way. I've tried Mysis, Brine Shrimp, and Cyclop-Ezze. I try feeding it several squirts from the baster. I've also tried the pop bottle method of feeding... it's seems to be very stuborn!

Walter

mr_alberta
07-03-2004, 11:17 PM
How long have you had it?

Mine never come out unless the room has been in total or near dark conditions for at least 1/2 hour.

Stretch
07-03-2004, 11:18 PM
The tissue looks like it is reseding in a few areas, so it needs to be feed more often.

whaase
07-03-2004, 11:19 PM
How long have you had it?

Mine never come out unless the room has been in total or near dark conditions for at least 1/2 hour.

I tried it after it was dark for quite some time. I've had it for about 2-3 weeks so far. There has been several times it was out about 1/3 of the way that I have seen...

Walter

Jason McK
07-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Hey Walter, Sun Corals don't like to be on the sand. It took me some time to get mine to open regularly. I would keep with it. It helps if you try to feed it shortly after you feed the main tank (fish) keep it up for a while more consistently every day for a couple of weeks. Then is will begin to recognize the fish feeding as feeding time. Also remember most Sun corals have not had a meal since they began they journey to your tank It's been awhile, they need to learn when food is available.

Good Luck and keep us posted
Jason

whaase
07-03-2004, 11:45 PM
I'll keep going. I actually only put it in the sand for the picture :smile: It normally sits on the rock. What are the spots on it?

Walter

Jason McK
07-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Could be tissue resesion? Try to blow it off, it could also be algea growth

J

EmilyB
07-04-2004, 03:05 AM
Mine has always been on the sand. :confused:

When I first got it, I did the bucket treatment. Take the coral out in a bucket of tank water and then throw in a bunch of cloudy sludge food....for me this is homemade. Stir it up every now and then and just leave the coral alone for a half hour or so.

Azilla
07-04-2004, 07:16 AM
I have mine in like a lil cave i feed it every 2 days and it comes out nightly i have alot of flow on it. When i first got it wouldn't come out then finally i trained it to come out a certain hours after bein fed. But when i first had it i had one that looked like yours and it went away with flow.....

whaase
07-04-2004, 11:46 PM
Mine has always been on the sand. :confused:

When I first got it, I did the bucket treatment. Take the coral out in a bucket of tank water and then throw in a bunch of cloudy sludge food....for me this is homemade. Stir it up every now and then and just leave the coral alone for a half hour or so.

I tried that today. It looked like it was going to pop, but it still didn't come out :smile: I'll keep trying...

Walter

whaase
07-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Here is how it looks now. I've noticed that if I feed the tank a bit of flake food, it starts comming out, then I target feed it and it's happy :biggrin:

http://aquahome.no-ip.com/suncoralopen.jpg

Walter

kuatto
07-10-2004, 10:08 PM
:biggrin: Glad things are looking better.

Van down by the river
07-11-2004, 05:28 AM
Glad to see things are looking up.
Emily B's method works well to induce reluctant Sun Corals.

I've heard of using a vitamin b additive to stimulate feeding response, but I have not tried this myself.

When it is open ensure you feed as many polyps as possible. If you miss some that is okay as they share nutrients throughout the colony as long as the tissue at the base is connected.