PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm Skimmer question.

Azilla
07-03-2004, 09:53 PM
I was wondering does the skimmer water volume goe as the size of your sump or the total volume of water in a system???? What i mean is i have a 75g tank then 50-55G of water in my sump another 20G in my fuge
So total of 150G so does this mean i need a 150G skimmer or will 100G skimmer do just as well. I was lookin at a euroreef skimmer but there #$$$$
Any other good priced skimmers that will do well for me please tell me.
see i bought a USED TURBO FLOTER1000 SKIMMER from someone in AZ and i never got it. I keep asking for money back but still nothing. Im fed up and need a skimmer. :cry: :frown:

Quagmire
07-03-2004, 11:03 PM
I would have to say total water vol.
I'm slowly gathering equip. for a set up thats about the same volume,I got a fantastic deal on a used skimmer from Wendell (Zulu Principle) :biggrin:
Check with him maybe he has another one.

Stretch
07-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Well I would go by the size of the main tank, the sump is just water, a fuge has water plus macro algea, which really won't add to the bio load, the entire systems bio load is contained in the main tank. Thats just my reasoning anyways.

For my system my 75g tank 20 sump 15 fuge, The sump isn't quite full so i probably have a total of 107g's of water.

I run the euroreef ES 6-1 which is rated for 100g I love it. THe whole reason i run it, is mainly because it's the only one that would fit in my stand/sump setup.

Aquattro
07-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Sizing any piece of equipment for a tank means for the total water volume, regardless of what portion holds the livestock. All of the water is dirty, not just the water in the tank.

Azilla
07-04-2004, 05:00 AM
ok but if im like 10 gals off or so on a skimmer it shouldn't hurt?
Alot of skimmers skim from 100-300g i noticed euroskimmers are a set skim like maybe there 100G can handle 120 u know thnks for helpin me yet again.

kris_willard
07-04-2004, 05:27 AM
I have a turbofloater 1000 multi on 115 gal total water volume (90display - 25gal sump) and it works AMAZING!!!!!!! I would reccomend anything else.

Aquattro
07-04-2004, 06:21 AM
ok but if im like 10 gals off or so on a skimmer it shouldn't hurt?

That would be fine. Just don't get something rated for a 50-100g tank if you really have 150g of water. Also keep in mind that many skimmer manufacturers way over estimate what their skimmer will handle.
Euroreef has a reputation for being fairly accurate on their ratings, and keep in mind that their prices incluse the pump. A beckett skimmer is a always a good choice, but then you need a $200 pump to run it.

AJ_77
07-04-2004, 06:33 AM
Too bad the Turboflotor didn't work out. I found that one to be as "plug and play" as you can get - and it skimmed like a bandit almost right away. Did you win an auction for one? I see another one listed from Yuma, AZ...

Azilla
07-04-2004, 07:12 AM
Naw i paid $210CAN for a turbo floter1000skimmer from i guy i met in AZ in march he shipped it to me but i guess it got lost in customs. :cry: i got mad before and wanted my money back but he would avoid the subject.Then like 2weeks ago he said guess what i got it back ill resend it and give u the trackin number. but then he disapeared and havent seen him since. :cry: As per my other posts my tank is goin threw really bad red alge and brown alge i have no skimmer which i think would help a lil bit in my problem.
I would like to thank u all again for all the help. :razz: