PDA

View Full Version : Hippo with bad ick

btuck887
10-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Just noticed my hippo has a bad case of ick, what is the best treatment?!?!

Aquattro
10-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Tons of threads on this topic here, try the search function to find the most recent ones.

kien
10-21-2013, 01:03 AM
That doesn't look that bad to me, yet. If your hippo is still swimming around actively (not lethargic), eating, generally acting normal (minus occasionally scratching on rocks), then I would just observe your tang for now. Perhaps soak some food in garlic extract. If she's healthy and behaving normally then she should be able to recover from it.

Your other alternative is to go full-on attack mode, take your Tang out, put her into a quarantine system and begin treat with one of the various treatment methods (meds, hypo salinity, tank transfers, a combination of..). Lots of treatment options if you search the forum for "ick." I personally would not recommend them but it's up to the hobbyist to decide which road to take with the ones presented in front of them.

btuck887
10-21-2013, 01:08 AM
Thanks Kien. It seems to come around every few months or so but the hippo is the only one to have noticeable spots. Think I'll just sit it out and see how it is in the morning/ next few days !!

kien
10-21-2013, 01:19 AM
Thanks Kien. It seems to come around every few months or so but the hippo is the only one to have noticeable spots. Think I'll just sit it out and see how it is in the morning/ next few days !!

My hippo occasionally gets it as well. I've had her for 6 years and she gets it almost once a month. I never try to treat for ick. A lot people try to though. To each their own :-)