PDA

View Full Version : off topic but figured I would check

howdy20012002
10-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Anyone in Edmonton know a furnace guy/gal or is a furnace guy/gal??
I had power surges a few days and beyond a couple of grand worth of fried electronics it now looks like my furnace does to want to turn on.
I have so much heat from 2000 gallons of saltwater in my house so far hasn't been a problem..but..that is going to be changing here shortly as it gets colder.

eli@fijireefrock.com
10-19-2013, 07:17 PM
If you are handyman and know a bit...try checking if the pilot light is not turning then replace the thermocoupling as this is usually the 1st step I take..

howdy20012002
10-19-2013, 07:23 PM
I should have stated what it was - it is about a 5 year old - American Standard Freedom 95 furnace
it actually does not have a pilot - it is all electronic
there is power going to the unit - but no blinking light on the board
thanks for the suggestion though.

jimbo222
10-20-2013, 12:06 AM
There should be a fuse on the board. A car fuse
If fuse ok put a jumper between r and w1 and see if it starts.
If it does your thermostat is fried

sphelps
10-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Insurance won't cover it? Typical home policies cover damage from power surges so if the damage is adding up it would certainly be worth investigating.

howdy20012002
10-20-2013, 01:41 AM
jimbo22- looked at the fuse- it is okay..I will try jumping - but think it is more likely the transformer or motherboard/
Sphelps - I had a house fire like 4 years ago - my fear is that if I make another claim the insurance will go through the roof or they will drop me as a client.
figured it wasn't worth taking the chance for a couple of thousand.

Coralgurl
10-20-2013, 04:11 AM
Check with your electric company if there's something going on around you and your neighbours are having issues as well. I recently learned that if it's a transformer issue and it's causing damages, the utility company is likely responsible and will cover repairs. Power surges are generally caused by lightening and don't just happen. I've been dealing with this on a 200,000 sqft building and HVAC equipment being fried, but have ruled out surges. You may want someone to come in and do a thermoscan of your electrical in your house if nothing is found on the main equipment.

howdy20012002
10-20-2013, 05:05 AM
Coralgurl I actually had my nuetral burn out at the mast
One of the connections on the hot was bad and melted the neutral
Kinda scary actually because it actually lit my cable line on fire due to the surge through the ground of the cable line
Had I not been there or been asleep my whole house would have been in flames

Cal_stir
10-20-2013, 05:15 AM
when you remove the panel to access the board there is a switch that shuts off power to the furnace, if you push the switch in it should power the board, the most common problems with that type of furnace is the vent motor which should be running, the pressure switch that tells the board the vent motor is running, the hot surface igniter, or the condensate drain is plugged.
The vent motors can seize up over the summer when not in use.