PDA

View Full Version : Pump choice

sleeman
07-03-2004, 03:40 AM
So I think I have my wife talked into letting me put the sump in the basement. I am going to have about 14' -16' of head when all is said and done. I have two options:
1. Use the mag 18 on a closed loop plumbed under tank. And move about 500 gph from the basement. Still get mag noise, but it gets rid of the Euroreef noise.
2. Put a big Tim Taylor pump in the basement and sell the mag 18.

The tank is a 75 Gal w 33 gal sump/fuge, I am also thinking about putting a rubbermaid in line to add more water quantity.
I am looking for opinions as to which way you would do this. As well what pump would you use and why. Noise is not a big factor as it will be in an insulated room in the basement. Price is the driving factor as the VP Finance has to approve this. :biggrin:
Thanks for your help folks.

Cheers,
Al

Richer
07-03-2004, 04:39 AM
When it comes to flow in saltwater tanks, my impression is; generally the more (random) flow the better. In the aquatic hobby in general, the more redundant equipement, the better. So I would personally go with the closed loop + additional pump option. If the pump in the sump should happen to die prematurally on you, at least you still have the mag 18 going... or if the mag dies, you still have the sump pump.

Keep in mind, I'm still a newbie at this whole saltwater thing... so take my suggestion like a grain of salt (pun intended :mrgreen: ).

-Richer

LostMind
07-03-2004, 04:49 AM
I'm thinking you'd want a pump like the iwaki's or genx mak4 or 5.

and I'd run the closed loop and sump return. more flow the merrier!

(not that I am beyond noob status either!)

Jack
07-03-2004, 05:50 AM
I didn't like my Mag 18 for my closed loop... much more usefull in a submersed sump return situation but I don't think it's powerful enough for your intentions.

Here's a link that might help in choosing a pump:

http://reefs.org/library/pumps/

Concentrate more on in-tank flow... you just need to get your water too and from your sump even if that means only 4-500 gph.

titus
07-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Hello,

I'd consider a good external pressure rated pump like an Iwaki. Or for better price, perhaps the Gen-X or Panworld may work as well. Gen-X told me that they are an exact replica of the Iwaki except for less money. From what I've read the Iwaki appeared to be slightly better in noise and stuff. Also, I'm told by a supplier that the Panworld is quieter and cheaper than the Iwaki. So go figure. I've bought 2 Iwaki lately and will try a Panworld equivalent and see how they compare. But I won't have it setup until sometime in August.

Titus

sleeman
07-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Titus,

Who is selling Panworld in the lower mainland?
Cheers,

Al

titus
07-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Hello,

No body as far as I can tell. As usual, I order most of my items from the distributors in the US.

Titus