PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on heating tank with RKL

GoFish
10-16-2013, 04:48 AM
I have 1 150 watt heater in the display controlled by a reef keeper lite. It's set to 77.5 with a +/- 0.3 hysteris. Currently the tank is sitting at 74.4 and with the cooler weather and rarely having the heat on in the house the heater is pretty well running 24/7

Any advice on how to up my temp?
Higher watt heater?
Second heater? If so can it be controlled with RKL? (there is 1 empty plug in)

Tank is 46g with 20g sump = 48g water volume

Thanks in advance!

tim the toolman
10-16-2013, 04:52 AM
You may need a second heater if your fighting to keep the temp up.
I am currently running 2 heaters off my RKL system. They both run off the same itemp system and it works great. Both in different plug ins as well.

I don't know if it will make a difference but I keep both my heaters in the sump. Just seems to me that sending the heated water into the tank will result in more equal distribution of the heat. Just my thought though, no real data to back that up.

GoFish
10-16-2013, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the advice! I tried searching a while ago for how to hook up 2 heaters using the RKL with same itemp probe but couldnt find anything... I assume the setup is the same?

Fesso
10-16-2013, 01:34 PM
A second heater is probably your best best. I run 2 on my reefkeeper on separate plugs in a PC4. You set up each plug the same as the other, it's very simple.

Craigdillman
10-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Is there a chance that your heater isn't turned up enough? Like you have it set to 77 on the reef keeper but if the temp on the heater isn't turned up or got bumped it may be kicking off before the temp reaches 77

neoh
10-16-2013, 07:35 PM
You should look into a 250W heater and just run the one. Better odds of something going wrong when you have two.

Also, it's best to keep the heater in the first stage of the sump where the water comes in as opposed to the return section, to allow more heat dispersment in a shorter amount of time.

The RK needs a the iTemp probe using the SL1 unit to operate. Assuming you use that.

GoFish
10-16-2013, 09:40 PM
A second heater is probably your best bet. I run 2 on my reefkeeper on separate plugs in a PC4. You set up each plug the same as the other, it's very simple.

Thanks for letting me know. I noticed a LFS earlier has aqueon heaters for 40% off :)

Is there a chance that your heater isn't turned up enough? Like you have it set to 77 on the reef keeper but if the temp on the heater isn't turned up or got bumped it may be kicking off before the temp reaches 77

The current heater is turned up to 81 or so. In the summer the system worked as programmed, the light on the heater would go on and off throughout the day. In the summer I had it programmed to 78.5

You should look into a 250W heater and just run the one. Better odds of something going wrong when you have two.

Also, it's best to keep the heater in the first stage of the sump where the water comes in as opposed to the return section, to allow more heat dispersment in a shorter amount of time.

The RK needs a the iTemp probe using the SL1 unit to operate. Assuming you use that.

When something goes wrong? There were 2 reasons I bought the RKL, one was for the digital temp display and the other was to protect my investment in case of a heater failure. I'm assuming if it will shut off 1 failed heater, as long as its programming is capable of recognizing 2 then I'm hoping it should do the same for the second... As far as the SL1, I bought one originally but returned it the following week when I realized the only thing it was good to me for was the PH display. The most simple water test there is, luckily the LFs gave me a refund
The RKL and temp probe are soley able to regulate a heater

Still undecided what section to put it in...Either the display or sump
It's an Aqueon Proflex model 3 sump BTW. (1st section filter socks, 2nd section refugium/skimmer, 3rd section return pump)

Off to buy a 4th aquarium heater for the house :)

neoh
10-16-2013, 09:46 PM
In regards to something going on - you're right, I always assume the worst. I bought the reefkeeper for the same reason.

Make sure the one you get fits! I have an Aqueon 3 sump as well, and my 250w heater didn't fit properly in it.

I actually ended up swapping the Aqueon around because I think it's a poor design. I have the overflow go into the last chamber, which is now the fuge, the skimmer in the middle, then removing the socks - I put the return pump in the corner. It was a tight squeeze, but I managed to get it in there.

GoFish
10-17-2013, 01:20 AM
In regards to something going on - you're right, I always assume the worst. I bought the reefkeeper for the same reason.

Make sure the one you get fits! I have an Aqueon 3 sump as well, and my 250w heater didn't fit properly in it.

I actually ended up swapping the Aqueon around because I think it's a poor design. I have the overflow go into the last chamber, which is now the fuge, the skimmer in the middle, then removing the socks - I put the return pump in the corner. It was a tight squeeze, but I managed to get it in there.

Oops, just reading this now... I bought the 250watt Aqueon!! LOL. Came home and temp was at 72.9 i made it fit in the sump though, i put it sideways across the 1st and 2nd chambers, theres a little black piece thats kind in the way but the suction cups are holding for now. I'll get a smaller one tomorrow or figure out a different orientation

mike31154
10-17-2013, 03:36 PM
My display sits in a corner of the room, so during the colder months I put styrofoam along the sides I don't see...the back glass & one side. A little insulation to cut down on the power use! Not for everyone I suppose, it's a bit ghetto, but you have a sump, so some styrofoam insulation around that would help & be hidden from view.

Fesso
10-17-2013, 03:45 PM
I keep my heaters in the skimmer chamber of my sump the heaters don't have to work as hard that way, when water is travelling over and around the heater... when putting a heater into main display, a much larger heater is required due to less water flow and a bigger volume to heat.
I think having 2 slightly smaller heaters is actually safer than 1 big one. My thinking is that the chances of 2 heaters dying at the same time is pretty small compared to 1 heater dying and leaving you with no heat at all...