PDA

View Full Version : Tank Swap / 155 gl

belzebuth
10-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Can anyone offer any tips on doing a tank swap ?

My 155 sprang a leak last week and just when I was about to give up on the hobby my hubby gave me the go ahead to order a new tank.

The new tank will be in on Saturday... I am a little bit freaked out at the idea of having to do a swap on this beast :)

Can anyone offer any tips or advice... We are keeping everything but the sand also our current tank used an overflow box and the new one will be drilled. (pretty happy about that)

I have no idea how to plumb the new tank so if someone has a links or info that would point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Hubby will be starting on the stand soon...yeepee !

Thanks guys

Andy

neoh
10-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Are you moving from one tank to another right away, or a wait in between? Is the new tank going where the old tank is? That gets really messy.

If you move to another location,just move the corals to a tote with current tank water, then move the rock and do your new tank scape - then add the sand. It's best to not have rock on top of sand. Then add the coral tote water to the new tank.

I had to do something similar about a month ago - it was a chore.

belzebuth
10-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Hi Neoh,
Sadly the new tank will be going in the same spot since there is a fish room behind the wall.

I have purchased 3 new brute garbage can, I am hoping to transfer the rock and livestock temporary to the cans while the old tank come out and new tank goes in.

Will be running heater, power head and skimmer on the can housing the livestock since new stand, new sand and new plumbing must also go in.

I am thinking the fish should be fine since the water parameters will be the same (using the tank water).

I don't plan on putting the live rock directly on the sand....I am thinking about using pieces of lighting egg crate under the rocks, not sure if it's a good idea but I can't think of anything else to use.

Thinking of removing a lot on rock from the display also for a cleaner look.

Definitely nervous about the whole thing but excited about the new tank(drilled and NO CENTER BRACE )

neoh
10-15-2013, 09:11 PM
You might be better off using a large tote than a garbage can for surface area, depending of course how much you have.

Madreefer
10-15-2013, 09:14 PM
I've done it several times. It's quite simple to do. Your plans are fine. Most people worry way too much. If your fast and careful all should go well. There's no need to add eggcrate under your rocks either. It eventually gets exposed over time and you'll hate it. Only thing I can suggest is to replace some of your old sand with well rinsed new stuff. Theres alot of post on here for tank transfers but the search button does'nt seem to bring them up for me.

belzebuth
10-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks madreefer... i am actually planning on turfing all my old sand and replacing with new. You are probably right about the egg crate. It would sux having it show...and yes i would hate it.

Now onto figuring out the plumbing... will research the forum for answers as i have no idea how drilled tank vs overflow box should be configured. Just happy to get rid of the over flow box giving me nightmares about flood and poweroutage.

IanWR
10-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Your plumbing choices may be affected by how many holes are in your overflow. If you have 2, I would suggest a herbie. Has worked well for me. The only part you may not have readily available is a gate valve, but that shouldn't be too big a deal to get ahold of.

I agree with the no eggcrate beneath your rock. Your plans look great, I'm sure you're excited with a fresh start to your aquascape. Keep us posted! :)

- Ian

belzebuth
10-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Thank Ian,
Will be looking up the "herbie" :)

Yes, I have to admit... I am pretty excited about redoing the aquascape on the tank. I will finally have the tank the way I want it :)

We purchased the Tank used a few years back and didn't care much for the stand.. it's just not working well with the 60 gallons sump.

Hubby has agreed to build a new stand... so I am pretty happy.

Borderjumper
10-16-2013, 01:50 AM
I second using a large tote vs a garbage can.. Or see if anyone has an old tank you can use for a while. Set the tote or tank up with rock a heater and flow and everything should be just fine.

belzebuth
10-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks... I have a couple of x-large rubbermaid tote. I might use those instead.

will definitely go with the Herbie overflow, seems pretty simple.

Found this info on the web :biggrin:

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/#prettyphoto/1/

belzebuth
10-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Tank has arrived in one piece... this beast is heavy
Not sure about the plumbing yet but making progress on the stand :biggrin:

The slow drip on the tank has almost stopped....salt must have worked it's magic for now

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/belzebuth_reef/1379528_10151655305692186_472963921_n.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/belzebuth_reef/960027_10151655305837186_1808295201_n-1.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/belzebuth_reef/1380029_10151655306022186_2004512519_n.jpg

1986CJ7
11-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Tank has arrived in one piece... this beast is heavy
Not sure about the plumbing yet but making progress on the stand :biggrin:

The slow drip on the tank has almost stopped....salt must have worked it's magic for now

How's the progress on the tank?

belzebuth
11-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Tank swap went well... no casualties. Going trough a bout of diatom bloom right now... Not sure why since the live rock is all from my previous 6 years old set up but we did use all new sand so maybe that's what causing this.

I am still getting air bubbles back in the display tank.. suspecting a small hole in in my return line which will probably have to be redone since i am thinking to upgrade my return pump. I don't think I am getting enough turn over flow from the current one + i want a 1 inch return instead of 3/4.

My current pump is fairly old and is staring to acting up

Also got a any new kitten keeping me pretty busy :biggrin:

Madreefer
11-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Do you have a thread about your tank at all? That looks like a nice angel in the background. Good to see you like a nice big glass full:lol:, when you finish your wine maybe you can start a journal:lol:

belzebuth
11-07-2013, 08:44 PM
lol Madreefer... No i have not started a thread about the tank, i don't know if I could diligently document everything.

Who doesn't like a big glass of wine :lol: