PDA

View Full Version : DIY Kalk Dripper

Beverly
07-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Read all about RC being down, so I thought I'd see if I can get there, and yup I did :cool: We're using Telus as our ISP.

Anyway, came across this DIY kalk dripper article for those who can get there:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.htm

kuatto
07-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Hey thanks :biggrin: I think I'm going to build one for my tank(maybe a little bigger)How much does a thing of kalk cost here in Edmonton?

Beverly
07-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Don't know about prices in Edmonton. I got my pail from J&L. Maybe other folks want to get in on a dry goods order over $200 for free shipping? I don't need anything, but maybe others do.

Richer
07-03-2004, 04:48 AM
I'm gonna be ordering stuff from J&L soon (within a week at the latest). I will get over 200 bucks worth of stuff... I'd be happy to throw in an order of kalk for you Jim.

-Richer

kuatto
07-03-2004, 04:56 AM
Just checked jl out and for 450grm its less than $15,never used this stuff before,so how long will that size container last?

Richer
07-03-2004, 05:00 AM
Generally, if you're going to use a simple dripper like the one Bev linked us to... its suggested that the mixture should be replaced one a week (or whenever you run out... which ever comes first). My container of kalk suggests using 1/8-2 tablespoons of the stuff per gallon of freshwater... depending on your tank. I think the only way to know is to actually try it, there are many variables to consider (ie. coral consumption, pH, alk, etc.).

-Richer

Beverly
07-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Jim, when cutting the holes for the tubing, make sure they will be small enough to make the contraption (ooooh, love working that word into a sentence :biggrin: ) airtight. Otherwise you won't be able to blow into the second tube to force the kalk through the tube going into the tank.

kuatto
07-03-2004, 06:18 PM
I was thinking of using a gallon milk jug.If I was to mix 2 jugs up at a time would the second jug last long enough(with the cap on)untill I was ready to replace the first jug?