PDA

View Full Version : Is it algae? - pictures included

whaase
07-02-2004, 03:37 AM
I have this stuff growing on some of my rocks. It is a dark red in color and it looks stringy. It is not a fuzz. Is it algae? Does anyone have a web page that shows different types of algae's and how to find the source and combat them?

Thanks, Walter

hawk
07-02-2004, 05:13 AM
You should be able to identify it here:
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/reefalgae/default.htm
Once it's identified do a search on this board or one of the others and you will be able to find out how to take care of it. Godd luck

DiscusZ
07-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Sounds like Red Algae to me.. I have had it in the past, I used Red Slime Remover to clear it up.

Jim

Canadian Man
07-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Sounds like Red Algae to me.. I have had it in the past, I used Red Slime Remover to clear it up.

Jim

What brand did you use Jim and where did you get it from?

DiscusZ
07-02-2004, 06:41 PM
It was just called Red Slime Remover.. (I will check when i get home for sure)

I got it from Big Al's its pricey stuff $25 or something like that. I will do doing another dose Sat Morning, then start water changes.. It does a number on your skimmer though ( mine is off right now)

Jim

steve.bridges
07-02-2004, 10:51 PM
yeh i 've got the same in my tank, i cover parts of it over for one day with shells or something, then either remove the shell and clean or if its not covered just move it to a dif location. this seems to kill it although how effective long term is another question.

Azilla
07-02-2004, 11:15 PM
does it look like mine?

http://www.phatkids.net/75gal/alge.JPG

steve.bridges
07-02-2004, 11:23 PM
exactly except i seem to have a lot more of it, almost my hole sandbed now its starting to move to the rock
:frown:

Canadian Man
07-02-2004, 11:54 PM
I have the same stuff in my tank right now too :sad:

whaase
07-03-2004, 12:07 AM
does it look like mine?

http://www.phatkids.net/75gal/alge.JPG

Nope, I'll try and take a picture. Some almost looks like a red grass, the rest is dark red and stringy.

Walter

DiscusZ
07-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Azilla > Yup thats exactly what I get..

Jonathon >
I have looked at my red slime remover and its from UltraLife Reef Products. I did a treatment Thursday and my tank is compeletely clean, I will do one more treatment Sat, and then leave it

Looks clean already :biggrin:

Jim

DOO-E
07-03-2004, 01:22 AM
whaase i have the same stuff i have no clue how to get rid of it. Is your all over the glass and substrate. I have dead corals skelotons in my tank so the GSP's will spread and it is covering that stuff too. I will try to get a pic also maybe our stuff is the same. One upp about it is that it over grew my cyano :mrgreen:

whaase
07-03-2004, 02:23 AM
No it's only on a few rocks in a few places... again, I'll get some pics asap.

Walter

whaase
07-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Here is 2 pictures. They are the best I could get. Also note the white trail on the first one. My snails keep leaving these all over the place.. Anyone know what it is?

http://aquahome.no-ip.com/algae1.jpg
http://aquahome.no-ip.com/algae2.jpg

Walter

LostMind
07-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Hey Walter.

First - the white stuff on the glass seems to be snail eggs. My ceriths do that all the time.

The first pic you put up looks like the the red fuzzy algae I have growing all over my kanai rocks. Nothing eats it. Toothbrush, baster and working on water quality and I have finally been making some progress.

The second pic seems like a different algae. I HAD that growing in my tank. My Purple tangs mows it down like its candy.

Dunno how much that helped.

whaase
07-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Hey Walter.

First - the white stuff on the glass seems to be snail eggs. My ceriths do that all the time.

The first pic you put up looks like the the red fuzzy algae I have growing all over my kanai rocks. Nothing eats it. Toothbrush, baster and working on water quality and I have finally been making some progress.

The second pic seems like a different algae. I HAD that growing in my tank. My Purple tangs mows it down like its candy.

Dunno how much that helped.

Hmm interesting. Thanks for the help... I'll work on it. Unfortunately I don't think I could fit a tang in my 20g :biggrin:

Thanks, Walter

DiscusZ
07-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Yup same stuff I had a long time ago really badly., if you do not get it under control it will take over. Check out some Red Slime Remover, I think I even have some left I just started to get it back this week, I decided to treat it.. my water seems fine

If you want the rest, will just give it to you thjere will not be enough to treat my tank again.. and there is definately enough to treat a 15-20 g tank twice...

you know where I live Walter :)
Jim

Fish
07-08-2004, 07:55 PM
I had a few patches of the red slime algae in my 90 gallon. It seems like it only grew in low flow areas. I have some of the same rock in my new 20 gallon but have twice the turnover and no more red slime. Just what I observed, might not be related.
- Chad

Van down by the river
07-11-2004, 05:22 AM
Hey Walter,
Don't waste your money on Red Slime remover as what you have is a red macro algae species, not red slime algae which is actually a kind of bacteria.
The Red slime remover if used properly works very well, as long as steps are taken to correct the water quality issues that alowed it a foothold in the first place. As it sounds like your tank may be relatively new (less than a year), expect a few types of algae blooms.