PDA

View Full Version : What's your take on zeovit?

mrhasan
10-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Well I tried prodibio before moving my tank to the new place (15 vials of biodigest and 15 vials of biotim). Well, honestly, I am not really happy with it. Part of the reason being that I didn't notice much change (maybe I am judging too quickly?) but that's not my real reason. The real reason is why should I use a product from a company who cannot even find the "required" dosage???!!!!! I think this is the 3rd (or probably) 4th time they have changed their dosage recommendation. So I quit :)

Anyway, this thread is not about prodibio so lets leave the argument for some other time. I recently bought three blue bottles of magic potions named coral vitalizer, coral snow and phol's xtra. Yesterday was the first dosage. Its obviously too quick to judge the output of CV and Xtra but coral snow got me impressed overnight! My tank's water is very clear (people who came over generally appreciate that before anything :biggrin:) but my OH MY! This thing make my water almost disappear (if it wasn't for the wave, I wouldnt even notice the water; its THAT clear).

So, being impatient, I have started studying about zeovit and I like it :) Seems like a lot of work but I like my tank to be interactive and just not something that I will just look at. So, I am just wondering, who are using proper zeovit system? I know Brad does so please do share your thoughts :) Do you like it? Does it worth it? I have done my calculation and the running cost seems to be fairly low (compared to prodibio!). So looking forward to some insights :)

Rice Reef
10-12-2013, 10:30 PM
First of all, what are you looking for or what are your expectations when dosing zeovit?

Some go all out with the program while others adopt certain potions that they like.

Proteus
10-12-2013, 10:51 PM
What change were u expecting from prodibio as well. Been using it 2 years and like it

mrhasan
10-12-2013, 10:59 PM
First of all, what are you looking for or what are your expectations when dosing zeovit?

Some go all out with the program while others adopt certain potions that they like.

Ops sorry for missing that. Basically, what other zeovit tanks looks like. Obviously not the most pristine one but I want to be on its way because seems like starting the system in a matured tank is more challenging than starting from the beginning. Basically I am after three primary things that zeovit provides: ULNS, crystal clear water and color; growth is a secondary addon for me.

What change were u expecting from prodibio as well. Been using it 2 years and like it

Well, like I said, maybe I am commenting on it way too early (but after spending $50 which could have resulting in some noticeable progress with zeovit). But my complain is prodibio doesn't seem to be consistent with its own packaging. Some says 1 vial per 50 gallon while some says 1 vial per 250 gallon of biodigest. Plus the cost seems to be a bit high too ($50/three months + other cost once ULNS gets established while I can achieve a lot more with zeovit with that rate of expense) compared to the output. And dosing one vial of strontium/iodine seems way too vague to me.

typezero
10-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Like rice reef states some go all out with the program with dosing the 3 bactor stuff with the zeo reactors and all the fixings. I think the only way to get the zeo look is to go all out. Some people use specific ones to achieve something specific.
Personally I have tried their products here and there and only really kept using coral snow for the cleaning effect and to help battle cyano bacteria if they pop up.
Some corals look stunning when they get the classic zeo pastel colouration but in general i like the coral colours more deep and solid.

e46er
10-12-2013, 11:07 PM
I dosed the same 3 you bought for close to a year with no noticeable difference when I started or when I quit except my wallet was lighter.

Acrowhora
10-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Been using prodibio bio-digest and bioptim for a while now and love the results.also using the ff KZ additives:amino acid,amino acid lps,pohl's xtra,coral vitalizer,k potassium balance,sponge power,macro elements,iron,and I'm getting good coloration and growth.just purchased coral snow and dosed on Friday but haven't noticed any changes yet(too early perhaps)

albert_dao
10-12-2013, 11:16 PM
I dosed the same 3 you bought for close to a year with no noticeable difference when I started or when I quit except my wallet was lighter.

You would be the odd one out. Are you still running a tank? Maybe I can help you figure out why it didn't have any effect. What were your specs/livestock, etc?

Proteus
10-13-2013, 12:05 AM
I think once you look into the cost of the two programs zeo will be more costly.

I run some zeo products in my tank and the zeo products are twice as much

I can get. Prodi for $40 big box

All the zeo foods are $50+. Per bottle.

Give it a shot u may love it

Myself though prodi runs me $120 a year
The zeo foods prob over $300 a year

Madreefer
10-13-2013, 01:33 AM
I used:Sponge Power
Coral Vitalizer
Pohls Extra
Coral Snow

My water was very clear and I had a lot more sponges. I did notice that the day after every dose of Pohls Extra I would get a tiny spot of red cyano show up. I have not used Zeovit for a few years now other than Coral Snow when I remember. Which is maybe 1 or 2 times a month. I think Zeovit products are too expensive for me to use and I'm not a "struggling student".

mrhasan
10-13-2013, 01:35 AM
Been using prodibio bio-digest and bioptim for a while now and love the results.also using the ff KZ additives:amino acid,amino acid lps,pohl's xtra,coral vitalizer,k potassium balance,sponge power,macro elements,iron,and I'm getting good coloration and growth.just purchased coral snow and dosed on Friday but haven't noticed any changes yet(too early perhaps)

Basically you are using almost all the required zeovit products other than the basic four used for ULNS :P So why not use the complete system :lol:

I think once you look into the cost of the two programs zeo will be more costly.

I run some zeo products in my tank and the zeo products are twice as much

I can get. Prodi for $40 big box

All the zeo foods are $50+. Per bottle.

Give it a shot u may love it

Myself though prodi runs me $120 a year
The zeo foods prob over $300 a year

Well here's the difference. The $120 cost that you are pointing out is only to reach ULNS. Afterwards, you will have to start dosing other stuffs to reach the point where you appreciate you did the ULNS in the first place (and hence the added cost).

Prodibio biotim + biodigest (15+15 vials box) costs $40 (taking the cost you posted).

My tank is 70 gallon (net volume). So basically, I will have to dose the exact same amount that a 100 gallon would dose. Each vial cost $1.3 (excluding TAX). Basically, I will have to dose 4 vials every 15 days (2 + 2) thus, costing me 8 vials every month ($10.6). Afterwards, I will have to reach out to add elements like CV (+$50), CS (+$50), xtra (+$50)....etc.....cost actually starts getting build up.

It would be wise to compare prodibio's cost directly to the basic four.

1lt of zeolite = $17. This will go will be enough for 16 weeks/4 months (500lt is needed for my tank). So, this costs $4.25.

Zeobac 10ml = $20. For my tank, I will have to dose 3 drops (perhaps) twice per week. Hence 6 drops per week or 24 drops per month. That equals to around 1ml per month. So this bottle will cost me $2/month.

Zeofood 50ml = $20. For my tank, I will have to dose 3 drops (perhaps) twice per week. Hence 6 drops per week or 24 drops per month. That equals to around 1ml per month. So this bottle will cost me $0.4/month

Zeostart 250ml = $45. For my tank, I will have to dose 0.5ml daily. Thus 15ml monthly. So this bottle will cost me $2.7/month

So, basically, prodibio would cost me $10.6/month for the same result (being optimistic here) that zeovit would do for $9.35/month. Rest of the cost will incur depending on personal ways and views. But basically, to maintain ULNS, that's the cost for my tank.

Generally, in zeovit forum, people who run full form of zeovit predicts a cost of $20-25/month on a moderately sized tank. So, extrapolating that results in a maximum of $300/year. I am sure that will go up with prodibio if you follow the same dosing regime as with complete zeovit system.

Like Albert said, I am also reading this for the first time that those 3 didn't work, esp coral snow. Don't really know....

mrhasan
10-13-2013, 01:36 AM
I used:Sponge Power
Coral Vitalizer
Pohls Extra
Coral Snow

My water was very clear and I had a lot more sponges. I did notice that the day after every dose of Pohls Extra I would get a tiny spot of red cyano show up. I have not used Zeovit for a few years now other than Coral Snow when I remember. Which is maybe 1 or 2 times a month. I think Zeovit products are too expensive for me to use and I'm not a "struggling student".

You still remember that :lol:

Madreefer
10-13-2013, 01:45 AM
You still remember that :lol:

Haha yup
I would probably still be using all I mentioned but the Pohls if I didn't have to order online. It adds too much to the cost in my case.

mrhasan
10-13-2013, 01:48 AM
Haha yup
I would probably still be using all I mentioned but the Pohls if I didn't have to order online. It adds too much to the cost in my case.

Well, I bought mines from JL sale so it was not as high (20% off + free shipping) as I posted in my calculations. Alongside, each batch would last me a year so I can restock on my birthday (which is around the zeovit fall sale time) :lol:

Phil
10-13-2013, 01:54 AM
I think the biggest problem is comming off zeo or missing some dosages. It's way way more intense and time consuming. U can really leave your tank for a week pluse on zeo. I used both and like prodibio the best. Your not going to get results from anything in a month. And ontop of that I find not all corals do well in a ulns.

e46er
10-13-2013, 02:41 AM
You would be the odd one out. Are you still running a tank? Maybe I can help you figure out why it didn't have any effect. What were your specs/livestock, etc?

Yeap been running 6 years or so 120 gal display 40 gal sump 250watt MH vertex 180 skimmer dosing pumps 40 gal WC every 2 weeks snapper return with carbon and GFO reators snapper closed loop
Fish 2 yellow tangs 2 clowns flame hawkfish diamond goby royal gamma
Corals -mixed reef

Not really interested why it didn't work I was just sharing my experience

albert_dao
10-13-2013, 03:43 AM
Not really interested why it didn't work I was just sharing my experience

* Well, my job here is done. Carry on... lol

kien
10-13-2013, 05:05 AM
I just like reading about people's experience with these systems :pop2:

mrhasan
10-13-2013, 05:21 AM
I just like reading about people's experience with these systems :pop2:

Thank me (and give me some popcorn too!). :mrgreen:

Stinktooth
10-13-2013, 06:10 AM
On a 70g system you should dose 1 vial of bio digest and 2 vials of bioptim. 1 vial of bio digest is good till 250g. All in all it costs you less than a pack of darts a month to run it.

mrhasan
10-13-2013, 06:34 AM
On a 70g system you should dose 1 vial of bio digest and 2 vials of bioptim. 1 vial of bio digest is good till 250g. All in all it costs you less than a pack of darts a month to run it.

Nop. The batch I bought had 1 vials of biodigest (and 1 vial of biotim) for every 50 gallon. Like I was saying, prodibio is confused about their own dosing recommendation :)

Yah it costs less than a pack of darts but zeo costs about $1 less than that (according to the calculation I posted above). With prodibio, it would be like...hmm....how much should I dose with the new batch....(and have to look at the back).

Stinktooth
10-13-2013, 06:44 AM
I bet you got the nano reef kit. I also double checked the boxes. Bio digest 1 vial for 30 to 250g and bioptim 2 vial for 50 to 100g.

mrhasan
10-13-2013, 06:46 AM
I bet you got the nano reef kit. I also double checked the boxes. Bio digest 1 vial for 30 to 250g and bioptim 2 vial for 50 to 100g.

Nop :) The one you are talking about is their 1st batch kit and the recent one....in between, they changed to 1 vial per 50 gallon. You can check with Aqua Digital on that. There's a post in his forum about this changes.

Stinktooth
10-13-2013, 06:57 AM
I only care about what it says on the box when I use it. Dose twice a month and I'm done. Zeovit imo takes up a lot of time and money.

mrhasan
10-13-2013, 07:03 AM
I only care about what it says on the box when I use it. Dose twice a month and I'm done. Zeovit imo takes up a lot of time and money.

Yes the instruction at the back of the box keeps on changing. If I had the box, I would have taken a snap and posted it here to prove. And if you look at my calculation I did few posts back, you will see that zeo is cheaper on the long run. Upfront cost looks high but those things last for a year and gets distributed over time. With prodibio, you are basically establishing the ULNS and will have to rely on supplements (like the zeovit foods) to maintain the corals, so in the end, the cost gets higher with prodibio no matter what. Would love to see if someone can disprove it :smile:

And I thought hobbyist believe "you get what you paid for". Wonder why someone wouldn't go to zeovit, which is a proven system (the dosing schedule is steep thats for sure but when it comes to cost, why not?)

The Codfather
10-13-2013, 03:37 PM
I started zeo almost a month ago. The results I am getting are noticeable, I could see results after about 10 days. Now my tank has been running for about 18 months, so I'm just dropping the levels. I'm only adding zeo back and start, with 3L of zeovit and carbon.
I also joined the zeovit forum, very very helpful. They get back to you fairly quickly, and after several pm's I was on my way down the rabbit hole.
My algae problem is almost completely gone. I tried prodibio before for several months without these results. Just my opinion and thoughts are that you have to find a system that works for you. For me, that's zeo.
Bob

waynemah
10-13-2013, 04:15 PM
I've done a huge price comparison in the past and zeo came out cheaper every time. I run the base system... Zeobak, Zeo food, coral snow, amino acids, Start (on a dosing pump), and change my Zeolites every 3-4 months. My phosphate and nitrate levels are barely detectable, even when I skip water changes for a month at a time. For 300 gallons of water volume, my yearly cost is $300-ish and I physically dose twice per week.

I've tried bio pellets in the start, which did an amazing job on the nitrates. Phosphates rose and I noticed problems with my corals.

Prodibio was way too expensive for my tank. It came out to almost double of what I'm doing with Zeovit now. Also cracking vials and dumping stuff in is more clunky than unscrewing a bottle and squeezing stuff in.

Dez
10-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Zeovit-Stick to the system and it works. Great colours, good polyp extension.

Me-laziness and it works. Decent colours (just not pastel), good growth and polyp extension.

Basically to each his own. I did zeo for over 2 years and I weaned my system off of it and sold my reactor. Not cause it didn't work, simply cause of laziness. Some corals look better with zeo, others don't. Can't please every single coral with one system.

My tank still looks great and I've got corals that I can't remove due to size. If have to break the coral to remove it due to my glass braces and size of the coral.

SoloSK71
10-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Basically you are using almost all the required zeovit products other than the basic four used for ULNS :P So why not use the complete system :lol:

Well here's the difference. The $120 cost that you are pointing out is only to reach ULNS. Afterwards, you will have to start dosing other stuffs to reach the point where you appreciate you did the ULNS in the first place (and hence the added cost).

Prodibio biotim + biodigest (15+15 vials box) costs $40 (taking the cost you posted).

My tank is 70 gallon (net volume). So basically, I will have to dose the exact same amount that a 100 gallon would dose. Each vial cost $1.3 (excluding TAX). Basically, I will have to dose 4 vials every 15 days (2 + 2) thus, costing me 8 vials every month ($10.6). Afterwards, I will have to reach out to add elements like CV (+$50), CS (+$50), xtra (+$50)....etc.....cost actually starts getting build up.

It would be wise to compare prodibio's cost directly to the basic four.

1lt of zeolite = $17. This will go will be enough for 16 weeks/4 months (500lt is needed for my tank). So, this costs $4.25.

Zeobac 10ml = $20. For my tank, I will have to dose 3 drops (perhaps) twice per week. Hence 6 drops per week or 24 drops per month. That equals to around 1ml per month. So this bottle will cost me $2/month.

Zeofood 50ml = $20. For my tank, I will have to dose 3 drops (perhaps) twice per week. Hence 6 drops per week or 24 drops per month. That equals to around 1ml per month. So this bottle will cost me $0.4/month

Zeostart 250ml = $45. For my tank, I will have to dose 0.5ml daily. Thus 15ml monthly. So this bottle will cost me $2.7/month

So, basically, prodibio would cost me $10.6/month for the same result (being optimistic here) that zeovit would do for $9.35/month. Rest of the cost will incur depending on personal ways and views. But basically, to maintain ULNS, that's the cost for my tank.

Generally, in zeovit forum, people who run full form of zeovit predicts a cost of $20-25/month on a moderately sized tank. So, extrapolating that results in a maximum of $300/year. I am sure that will go up with prodibio if you follow the same dosing regime as with complete zeovit system.

Like Albert said, I am also reading this for the first time that those 3 didn't work, esp coral snow. Don't really know....

Plus how much for the reactor plus how much time?

Charles

albert_dao
10-13-2013, 05:15 PM
You can run zeo additives sans reactor (bak and start3) similarly to how you'd run prodibio for similar net effect. You just get a lot of benefit to having a reactor and doing everything daily. Consistency yields better results.

It's sorta like having a calcium reactor/doser setup vs manually adding your ca/kh/mg. Overall increases in water stability and makeup regularity promotes better vigor.

lastlight
10-13-2013, 05:18 PM
regularity promotes better vigor.

now you're even sounding like the descriptions on the zeo bottles :mrgreen:

mrhasan
10-13-2013, 05:19 PM

Charles

Reactor is a one time cost so I didn't consider that (plus fish street came out with some great reactors that have good review and are around $100 which is almost equal to two boxes of prodibio; probably the amount that has to be used because you see any difference).

Time is a variable that cannot be judged. Plus, from the looks of it, you only need about 5 minutes every day at max (dosing gets lower to weekly dosing once everything gets under control) which is not a big deal to me. I spend way too long staring at the tank :P

SoloSK71
10-13-2013, 05:55 PM
I guess if you run or want to run an ULNS then it would pay. For me I like just cracking a couple of vials a month for my mostly LPS system.

Charles

Aquattro
10-13-2013, 06:03 PM
from the looks of it, you only need about 5 minutes every day at max

I spend about 45 seconds every other day, so not a huge investment in time. Takes longer to wipe algae off the front glass.

mrhasan
10-13-2013, 06:10 PM

Charles

I spend about 45 seconds every other day, so not a huge investment in time. Takes longer to wipe algae off the front glass.

True that! You run a full system right Brad?

Aquattro
10-13-2013, 06:21 PM
True that! You run a full system right Brad?

Yes, although often the "lazy" version :) I can't compare it to not using it as I started the tank with it. I get good results, so I guess I'm happy with it. :)

mrhasan
10-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Yes, although often the "lazy" version :) I can't compare it to not using it as I started the tank with it. I get good results, so I guess I'm happy with it. :)

Thats basically the idea. Don't want to start it all the middle of the tank being matured. Better to start early :smile:

And your "lazy" version doesn't have much impact right? Like missing a week worth of dosing and stuffs?

Aquattro
10-13-2013, 06:33 PM
And your "lazy" version doesn't have much impact right? Like missing a week worth of dosing and stuffs?

Honestly, I've left it 2 months without doing much other than stirring the media. Then I followed by three months of not missing a dose. Didn't see much difference -lol
I think the zeorocks have a lot to do with keeping the PO4 and NO3 down.

Madreefer
10-13-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm gonna be following this thread. I've considered getting a zeo reactor with the rocks in the past but just been too lazy to do the research. I stopped when I got to the part where it says not to run if running a refugium. But yet my refugium is not for growing any algae but strictly pods.

mrhasan
10-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Honestly, I've left it 2 months without doing much other than stirring the media. Then I followed by three months of not missing a dose. Didn't see much difference -lol
I think the zeorocks have a lot to do with keeping the PO4 and NO3 down.

Yah....zeolite are probably the most important part for keeping those down.

mrhasan
10-13-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm gonna be following this thread. I've considered getting a zeo reactor with the rocks in the past but just been too lazy to do the research. I stopped when I got to the part where it says not to run if running a refugium. But yet my refugium is not for growing any algae but strictly pods.

Best part is the reactor is no longer expensive. Fish street sells three models between $60 to $100. You just add your own pump. Basically, its just pieces of PVC glued together so nothing to be worried about failing. People were initially concerned about the joints but it has been a long time and I haven't seen any negative review. Plus these are magnetic reactor (two magnets of the same pole at the bottom so the chamber floats) so you just pull once and it jumps few times, thus cleaning the rocks a bit better. Cool stuff.

Madreefer
10-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Where is Fish Street located? Is it in the States? I prefer to support Canadian stores only. Too much of a hassle and shipping takes forever

mrhasan
10-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Where is Fish Street located? Is it in the States? I prefer to support Canadian stores only. Too much of a hassle and shipping takes forever

Its in China :P They were the ones who started distributing WP40. Very well reputation being a Chinese store (they actually have customer service). I ordered something from them and took around 20 days to reach my place so basically the typical ebay style shipping time.

thmh
10-13-2013, 07:00 PM

Fish street is in China :-) I think!?

~Tony

albert_dao
10-13-2013, 07:02 PM
now you're even sounding like the descriptions on the zeo bottles :mrgreen:

I balk at your insinuation that I would have had anything to do with some of the wording on those bottles!

lastlight
10-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Pohl's Xtra "improves vitality visibly". If Albert hasn't said that already... he was thinking it.

reefwars
10-13-2013, 10:58 PM
ULNS, crystal clear water and color; growth is a secondary addon for me.

if cost is a factor you can always VSV and supplement which ever zeo products you need to , when trying to get to ULNS theres more than one way to skin a cat besides what the market offers in a box or bottle.

as for the zeo products you use, some of them have a very distinct purpose even if it isnt noticable right away and some have faster effects.

its not a bogus program that sells products that do nothing each additive has a purpose thats been tested and proven to have a certain affect , alot of research goes into this product line,just because one reefer noticed no changes doesnt mean you will , each system is different to a point.

spend some time on the zeo forumns and become familiar with everything and start small.

all in all zeo is what you make it, it can be cheap or pricey depending on how far into you want to get;)

gl!!

cheers

kien
10-14-2013, 03:30 AM
I googled "Coral Snow" once and got pages upon pages of snakes!! True story, and False advertising!

mrhasan
10-14-2013, 03:32 AM
if cost is a factor you can always VSV and supplement which ever zeo products you need to , when trying to get to ULNS theres more than one way to skin a cat besides what the market offers in a box or bottle.

as for the zeo products you use, some of them have a very distinct purpose even if it isnt noticable right away and some have faster effects.

its not a bogus program that sells products that do nothing each additive has a purpose thats been tested and proven to have a certain affect , alot of research goes into this product line,just because one reefer noticed no changes doesnt mean you will , each system is different to a point.

spend some time on the zeo forumns and become familiar with everything and start small.

all in all zeo is what you make it, it can be cheap or pricey depending on how far into you want to get;)

gl!!

cheers

Thanks for the advice Denny :D See ya on 15th ;)

I googled "Coral Snow" once and got pages upon pages of snakes!! True story, and False advertising!

LOL. Yah there's a species of snake named coral snow :P I guess zeovit was trolling those who claim this as snake oil ;)

saltyair
10-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Not sure if you want my 2cents but here it is.:lol:

I did some research on the zeo system and there are some tanks that have thrived.But most of those tanks that do thrive started (or early on) with the Zeo system.

When I looked into this system I was looking for something that would help keep NO3 down as my bio load increased and keep any algae from taking hold, I also wanted something that would enhance my new sps collection.

This is what I have been using I believe successfully for over 2 years (on a 4yr system)

20 gal refug
carbon,gfo reactor (change out every 30 days)
over sized skimmer
carbon dose (vinegar) 45mls
and weekly 15gal WC
Reef fuel once a week (1/2 dose) + reef roids(1/4 dose)

My sps are very colourful (on the darker side)
other than my little melflex experience - no algae blooms.

If I were to start a new system I think I would start early with the Zeo system - but not a mature set up IMO

reefermadness
10-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Here is my take on zeovit, short and sweet.

It can work, but is not necasary to maintain a beautiful, healthy reef. So why use it?

That is only my opinion and I'm not looking to get flamed but I just like to keep things as simple as I can while still producing the results I'm looking for.

Aquattro
10-15-2013, 02:03 PM

It can work, but is not necasary to maintain a beautiful, healthy reef. So why use it?

That is only my opinion and I'm not looking to get flamed but I just like to keep things as simple as I can while still producing the results I'm looking for.

Probably can't argue with that. I use it because I have it and started the tank with it. Although, I'm not sure how well I "use" it, as I often miss dosing. Mostly I have a reactor full of rocks that I believe helps. Believing is enough :)

albert_dao
10-15-2013, 07:21 PM

I don't mean to be glib when I say this, but sometimes its about getting results that go a little beyond what you were looking for :D

kien
10-16-2013, 01:32 AM
FLAME WAR ON!!

Magickiwi
10-16-2013, 01:37 AM
FLAME WAR ON!!

Flame war? Why didn't I get invited?

mrhasan
10-16-2013, 03:45 AM
Flame war? Why didn't I get invited?

Well you are already here so...yah! :razz:

mrhasan
10-30-2013, 03:31 AM
Well got my reactor from fishstreet :D

Ordered on 21st Oct.
Shipped on 22nd Oct.
Reached Calgary post office on 28th Oct.
Picked up on 29th Oct.

It was very fast considering it was shipped from China. Here's the reactor after taking it out from the box:

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s522/mrhasan1/2013-10-29185455_zpsb9994aa0.jpg (http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/mrhasan1/media/2013-10-29185455_zpsb9994aa0.jpg.html)

Packing was extremely good with little to no chance of any damage I would say.

Now about the quality, I am not particularly sure how the quality is standing alongside the vertex but its all PVC and I am happy with the build. It doesn't come with any pump so I got myself an ehime 80gph variable pump to go with it. And consumes only 5w while for refugium, I would have to use atleast 10w of light so reactor would put any sort of spike in the bill. So, a very well made pump with a reactor made out of PVC, I don't think I can complain :)

One of the thing that should be noted is fish-street advertises it as 1.5ltr capacity but actually it can hold 1ltr. Maybe they use a different zeolite to measure or something, not sure. But I will be using only about 700ml so I am good with it.

Oh, the reactor itself was around $70 and shipping was around $40. All in all, I paid around $111 shipped.

I will be setting it up tomorrow after I do a 10 gallon WC since I need to remove the rocks from the refugium and clean up the sump floor. My zeovit journey starts tomorrow :)

kien
10-30-2013, 03:58 AM
Did it come with the extra foot as well?

Rice Reef
10-30-2013, 04:03 AM

LOL! I was just gonna comment on it. I think the big toe is used to regulate the amt of flow going into the reactor.

mrhasan
10-30-2013, 04:42 AM

Nop. Got it locally. Shipping was getting way too expensive :neutral:

asylumdown
10-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Raied I have three bags of zeolites that you can have when I get home. Many moons ago when I set up my tank I waffled between going zeo or not. I even started buying some of the products (hence the three bags of zeolites). Then I realized that if it was something my tank needed every single day and I could not automate it with a doser, I was not going to be able to maintain it long term because A) I'm soooooooooo lazy and B) I go out of town a lot, often for long stretches.

I settled on biopellets in a recirculating reactor, which has proven to be the simplest, easiest, and lowest maintenance way to limit nutrients pretty much ever, which is what the number 1 criteria by which I judge something tank related these days. It's worked well, but I've had three bags of zeolite space taking up valuable drawer space ever since lol!

mrhasan
10-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Raied I have three bags of zeolites that you can have when I get home. Many moons ago when I set up my tank I waffled between going zeo or not. I even started buying some of the products (hence the three bags of zeolites). Then I realized that if it was something my tank needed every single day and I could not automate it with a doser, I was not going to be able to maintain it long term because A) I'm soooooooooo lazy and B) I go out of town a lot, often for long stretches.

I settled on biopellets in a recirculating reactor, which has proven to be the simplest, easiest, and lowest maintenance way to limit nutrients pretty much ever, which is what the number 1 criteria by which I judge something tank related these days. It's worked well, but I've had three bags of zeolite space taking up valuable drawer space ever since lol!

That would be awesome :D :D

Baker
11-03-2013, 09:35 PM
I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I have been using quite a few zeo products for a few months now. I started with Pohl's Xtra and K-Balance. Noticed a difference in my tank right away. Then I bought some LPS Amino Acids. Corals looking even healthier. Then because I have so much Sps, I started adding Strontium Complex and Magnesium Complex. Havent had anything rtn since starting those two and sps was looking healthier. Now I have been reading about Coral Booster and Coral Snow so I picked up a bottle of each and started to dose that as of today. Keep in mind that I do use a good salt and still have been seeing a difference in my corals when it comes to PE and overall health. I also kept up on WC's before I started using Zeo so I know its not just that. The way I look at it, for the amount of money I spend on corals... Its worth it to spend a few hundred or more per year to keep them healthy. Just wanted to share my experience with the zeo line. Word.

kien
11-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Good stuff! It's always nice to hear success stories like yours. How about some pics? :biggrin:

Baker
11-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Forgot to mention that this is a 20 gallon frag tank that gets all of the nice treatment. My other tanks get nothing special but good ol' water changes. The frag tank has all my higher end sps in it. Just to clarify its not anything to brag about like some 200gal sps reef tank.

Madreefer
11-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Just to clarify its not anything to brag about like some 200gal sps reef tank.

Too late bud. We want pics. :lol: