PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Ich attack

reeffish6
10-12-2013, 04:59 AM
I have ich in my tank. It was well and then it has now come back stronger then ever! I turned the heat up to 82 and am putting ich attack 3 times a day. It's a full reef tank and 180 gallons. I need some quick advice to help me get rid of this problem please!!!

iceman86
10-12-2013, 05:14 AM
I have ich in my tank. It was well and then it has now come back stronger then ever! I turned the heat up to 82 and am putting ich attack 3 times a day. It's a full reef tank and 180 gallons. I need some quick advice to help me get rid of this problem please!!!

If you have a quaranteen tank id transfer all the fish to it and treat with copper. If you dont have a quaranteen tank, keep treating with ich attack and soak the food in garlic juice.

reeffish6
10-12-2013, 05:17 AM
I have no extra tank available. So I guess that's what I can do. My fish are really fat and I always soak the food with garlic.

iceman86
10-12-2013, 05:21 AM
I have no extra tank available. So I guess that's what I can do. My fish are really fat and I always soak the food with garlic.

Just keep a close eye on their benavior and make sure they are eating. Did you introduce a new fish recently?

hfp75
10-12-2013, 05:27 AM
Hot kijiji and buy a used tank for 25 bucks and run a power head and heater

reeffish6
10-12-2013, 05:28 AM
Yes I have. One of then is a cleaner wrasse. I might get another one tomorrow to help out.

iceman86
10-12-2013, 05:34 AM
Red coral had 20g tanks for $20 recently. They might still have some. Thats what I use for mine with a powerhead, heater and desk lamp. Cheap and effective

reeffish6
10-12-2013, 05:36 AM
Tank is too big to catch the fish.

Aquattro
10-12-2013, 05:54 AM
Tank is too big to catch the fish.

Drain the tank. Pick up fish with your hands and move them to the new tank you just bought. Treat in there, leave main tank empty for 3 months, do not add fish again without quarantining. Easy peasy.

reeffish6
10-12-2013, 06:04 AM
My tank is a full reef already

Aquattro
10-12-2013, 06:49 AM
My tank is a full reef already

Ya, mine too. I had to drain it three times to catch fish. Sure, it sucks, but could mean the difference between the fish living or dying.

MCC
10-12-2013, 06:59 AM
Wrong section

spit.fire
10-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Poly labs medic

gregzz4
10-12-2013, 07:57 AM

Take the advice of those who know, especially those who have lived through it ... (previous posts)

There is no quick fix for ICH :surprise: so stop trying to fix it quickly

Some live with it, and some are devastated by it

I don't care what others say about this med and that med
There's no 'fix' for Cryptocaryon irritans
You'll get 100s of answers from dozens of peeps who have used 'product' that has worked for them
In the meantime, are you going to risk your fish ?
They will just as easily die while you try feeding them garlic or whatever

So, first, your fish are infected
You may lose some
This is reefkeeping, so get used to it :sad:

Get a QT and use it for at least your new fish

If your tank is infected and you want to completely remove it forever, move the fish to a QT and leave the main tank fallow for 9+ weeks
Then, in the future, QT everything

Keep feeding the Display for the fallow period to keep the corals/shrimps/crabs and such alive

Don't hurt your fish in the QT with copper, but rather consider hyposalinity

Don't rush putting your fish back in the DT as it takes up to 8-9 weeks for Ich to die off (in most cases)

Umm, don't know what else to say ...

Anyone else ?

And for anyone interested, read this about the myths of Marine Ich (http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html)

Cal_stir
10-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Take the advice of those who know, especially those who have lived through it ... (previous posts)

You'll get 100s of answers from dozens of peeps who have used 'product' that has worked for them

You may lose some

If your tank is infected and you want to completely remove it forever, move the fish to a QT and leave the main tank fallow for 9+ weeks

Keep feeding the Display for the fallow period to keep the corals/shrimps/crabs and such alive

Don't rush putting your fish back in the DT as it takes up to 8-9 weeks for Ich to die off (in most cases)

Anyone else ?

And for anyone interested, read this about the myths of Marine Ich (http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html)

+ 1

I got a red net, and used my reg nets to herd the fish into the red net, it's like they can't see it, they swim right into it.

iceman86
10-12-2013, 01:33 PM

You may lose some

Anyone else ?

Take advice of those who know? Your not the only person here who has had ich. Just because you do your stuff a certain way doesnt make the others wrong.

We have all heard stories about these products working/not working. whether they do or not im not sure, but thats all he has at the moment so why not try it. Unless you can prove thats this product is bogus, dont come in here with false info.

Copper hurting fish? If that was the case people and lfs wouldnt use it. Some lfs keep fish in their dt with regular copper dosing for long periods of time until someone buys the fish without any ill effects. Like anything else you can overdose it but use it properly and your safe.

Garlic is proven to boost their immune sytem, it also entices them to eat which fish stop doing when they get infected. It will not kill the ich but it can make the fish strong enough and hopefully fight it off. I have had fish fight off ich and beat in my dt with garlic alone. Just have to keep the fish healthy and strong. When they get ich in the ocean they just dont jump into a quaranteen tank they have in "storage".

It doesnt take 8-9 weeks either for ich to die. Ich has a 10 day life cycle. If it doesnt attach itself to another fish in 10 days its dead. People usally wait 4-6 weeks just be sure.

The post above seems to be one mans opinion. My info comes from thousands of posts and articles reefers have written online. Take a search and you'll read it too. Most importantly ive dealth with it first hand. Im no expert in the aquarium field as i learn something new everyday, but im just going off personal experience what thousands of people have done to cure it.

I now use a quaranteen tank for all new fish and ones that do get sick. Its the easiest method for me.

Reeffish6 good luck with your battle.

Aquattro
10-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Take advice of those who know? Your not the only person here who has had ich. Just because you do your stuff a certain way doesnt make the others wrong.

I'd agree with Greg's overview 100%

We have all heard stories about these products working/not working. whether they do or not im not sure, but thats all he has at the moment so why not try it. Unless you can prove thats this product is bogus, dont come in here with false info.

Pretty sure it's been proven these products are crap

Copper hurting fish? If that was the case people and lfs wouldnt use it. Some lfs keep fish in their dt with regular copper dosing for long periods of time until someone buys the fish without any ill effects. Like anything else you can overdose it but use it properly and your safe.
Copper is well known to be a toxin that affects fish's internal organs. The point of copper is to poison the ich less than you poison the fish. Sometimes it works, sometimes it kills the fish. Copper is never safe.

Garlic is proven to boost their immune sytem
You get a point for this one

It doesnt take 8-9 weeks either for ich to die. Ich has a 10 day life cycle. If it doesnt attach itself to another fish in 10 days its dead. People usally wait 4-6 weeks just be sure.
You just lost the point you got above, you need to keep the tank empty for at least that long.

The post above seems to be one mans opinion.
Actually, just few more than one's opinion here. Fairly common knowledge

He's been given the proper advice, and prefers to not do what's required. So either live with the ich, replace fish that die and carry on. Or do it right.

reefwars
10-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Tank transfer method is another option as well

Aquattro
10-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Tank transfer method is another option as well

Almost always involves removing the fish in the first place, which he's trying to avoid :)

duncangweller
10-12-2013, 04:24 PM
I'd agree with Greg too. I had ich once and that's what I did, worked too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

reefwars
10-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Almost always involves removing the fish in the first place, which he's trying to avoid :)

Still a Proven option

Aquattro
10-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Still a Proven option

Agreed.

gregzz4
10-12-2013, 05:29 PM
dont come in here with false info.
:boink:

reeffish6 I hope whatever you decide to do works out in your favor
Good Luck !

Madreefer
10-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Poly labs medic

Not trying to stir pot or start a debate.
But I recommend this option.
Why? Cause it worked awesome for me 3 weeks ago.

Aquattro
10-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Not trying to stir pot or start a debate.
But I recommend this option.
Why? Cause it worked awesome for me 3 weeks ago.

I guess when I say it doesn't, is because it doesn't always. So then the times it does, was it the product, or did the ich clear up on it's own?
My Achilles broke out in ich last month, and I realized I'd been busy and forgot to feed them for a few days. Achilles didn't like that I guess.

So I rolled up some nori and vitamins, and fed the tank. 24 hours later, ich was gone. Does that then say ich can be "cured" by feeding?
If a product is advertised to work, and experience shows it doesn't do anything bad, then by all means try it. But, if it doesn't work, and the fish get worse, do you have a plan "B"?
So ya, sometimes these things appear to work, but did something else change that we can't see (chemistry, removal of some stressor) or did the compound ingredients really do something to the ich itself? Who knows.