PDA

View Full Version : Any shift workers (vacationers) with tanks?

Blom
10-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Im looking to get back into the hobby after almost 2 years out, mainly because I drive myself nuts on this fourm looking at all the awesome tanks. But before I get too carried away, which is of course the norm, I wanted to see if their were others in similar senarios.

I will be a shift worker for another year or so earning my wings in the field. I work 8 days on and 6 off, which means I am 600km away for half the month, and home for the other half. I am hoping that there are some members that could share some experiences with either shift work, or vacationing and keeping a tank.

HaZRaTTy
10-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Hey,

What part of the city are you in, you could always get someone you trust to stop in every once in a while.

I would have to say the best thing for a shift worker is a wife that works a regular normal job!

There is also ATO's and camera's with smart phones or setup on an IP address to login on a computer and you could check in that way. Monitors that throw back Ph, Temp and other values to your smart phones. Dosing pumps if you want to do it badly enough it can be done.

It will cost some cash and initial effort push but it is do-able. I'm currently on a 4on 4off schedule but in the city so i'm home every night. Still shift work but not so far from home.

Dearth
10-11-2013, 10:29 PM
It basically depends on what kind of tank you want to run and whether or not you feel confident enough in the person(s) looking after the tank while your gone.

My tank is setup so anybody can look after it it is a simple setup and all they have to is feed once a day while I am gone I don't run GFO, carbon or that other stuff just a skimmer and return pump and ATO. The more you run the that can go wrong hence the trusted person(s)

Blom
10-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the replys,

Automation was the way I was planning on going to some degree, I still have my profilux from my last tank. Its just me in my house so no wife to look after anything, very helpful neighbors though. I also agree that simple is better. I have never tried to over complicate things in my tanks, but like you said its all very dependant on what you keep.

My only real concern with this idea is sometimes I end up being gone for much longer time periods (Almost a month). Its few and far between, but I could see that being a real issue. ATO res runs dry, auto feeders out of food. Ive never come home to a dead tank, and never want to either.

HaZRaTTy
10-11-2013, 10:45 PM
There is always help somewhere if needed, you have a lot of open options in a company to do maintence on the odd time you couldn't make it back.

Depending where you are in the city I have a pretty flexible work schedule 4on 4off like I said that if needed could stop in and refill the odd time when needed.

Alcohol is good payment for me! haha

Blom
10-11-2013, 10:49 PM
There is always help somewhere if needed, you have a lot of open options in a company to do maintence on the odd time you couldn't make it back.

Depending where you are in the city I have a pretty flexible work schedule 4on 4off like I said that if needed could stop in and refill the odd time when needed.

Alcohol is good payment for me! haha

Thanks so much for the offer, and booze is how I pay. That being said I should update my loaction as I live in Cochrane now. Bit of drive.

Dearth
10-11-2013, 10:53 PM
I always have a ready made 5 gallons of fresh ATO water to go just I case my 20 gallon ATO runs low that the person can fill up.

As my tank is 95 gallons if I happen to be away for 2-3 weeks I can live with no water changes for that period however with a smaller say like 50 gallon tank a lack of a water change could be more worrisome however you live in Edmonton so tons of reefers available to help out so I don't think you would have any serious concerns about tank maintenance.

Blom
10-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Good point on tank volume being a big factor. Im planning on 100ish for the display, but a large sump that doubles th e volume could help alot.

Madreefer
10-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Had someone look after my tank while on vacation.
They decided to clean my glass after told not too. Came home to scratched tank. About 8 years ago I came home to all my fish dead.
I trust nobody. Everybody has some sort of story.

Blom
10-11-2013, 11:00 PM
I trust nobody.

:twised:

Coasting
10-11-2013, 11:03 PM
I have a fairly basic set up in a sense. 67g tank, 20g sump, skimmer, uv, thats about it. 5 fish lots of lps and what not for coral.
I work on vancouver island and my tank is on the mainland. I only get to visit it every 2 months or so.
My tank remains at my parents house. They top it up with an icecream pail of fresh water in the sump every few days (when the return pump starts sucking air) and empty the skimmer cup when it fills. Oh and feed the fish crushed pellets or something frozen once daily. Lights are on a timer. Thats all i've really been able to teach them to do so far. So when i get home i will usually do 1 or 2 - 10 gal water changes over a week or 2.
Ive got a bit of algae but thats probably because i use just tap water for the tank. Otherwise its great. Amazing growth on the coral, fish are fat and healthy....
Tank definatly doesn't suffer with me being gone. And what is done can easily be replaced by a neighbour or auto feeder. Either way, works well in my books :)

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Blom
10-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Well im sold, not that I needed alot of coaxing. Off the the buy sell forum.

Who wants to sell a complete setup (Hardware only).

hfp75
10-11-2013, 11:20 PM
I was gonna PM you but you dont have a message box here and when I tried to email you it said you didn't allow emails.

you're making it hard.....

Give me a PM.

mark
10-12-2013, 12:25 AM
ATO could be a non-issue as I've had my ro/di on a mechanical float for around 8 years with zero problems.

Fish, feeding would think depend on type. Say something like a Mandarin that could pick pods while away if you had enough rock.