PDA

View Full Version : I need a canopy

Old Guy
09-02-2002, 06:15 PM
Can anybody direct me to where I can buy or have a canopy built for a 36"x18" tank? The ones at Big Als don't cut it for halides and Grant says he would have to order 3 or 4 to get what I want :rolleyes: .

I would build my own except for a lack of proper tools. I find it hard to cut straight lines with a skill saw and a bent brain :D

reefburnaby
09-02-2002, 08:38 PM
Hi,

Do you have a picture of what you want and how tall do you want your canopy ?

Building your own canopy is quite fun and easy. If you don't have the equipment to cut the wood straight, then you can have home depot or revy cut it for you. Oh...you can always buy a table saw.

- Victor.

Mak
09-02-2002, 08:41 PM
Get HomeDepot/Revy to cut it for you. They're usually pretty accurate if you ask them nicely ( especially if it's only a few small cuts). Also it's free or like 50 cents a cut. Then just use a drill to put the rest together.

Cheers

Old Guy
09-02-2002, 09:59 PM
Yesterday I went to the Revy across from J&L. They show you the handsaw out back :eek: .

I then went to Home Depot down on United Blvd and had 3 pcs laminated pine shelving that I would have liked to get cut. Two minimum wage earners and 45 minutes later, my wife and I walked out empty handed :mad: .

Just thought maybe I could find a suitable top without all the run around. :rolleyes:

Did I mention that I went to the doctor cause I thought I had Mono :( . Yeh, it turns out that I'm just really,really, really lazy :D

reefburnaby
09-03-2002, 12:46 AM
Hi,

Hmm...yah, hardware stores are usually busy during the weekends. You can try them during during the weekday. I usually have no problems during weekday evenings. I buy a lot of 4'x8'x3/4" MDF from them, but I ask them to cut it...and make them fit in my car smile.gif

Okay...so, let's assume we are buy it something like : http://www.vmarine.com/aquariadepot/default.asp?URL=index/xgenproductgroup167.html

So...AGA canopies can be purchased at either PetSmart, King Eds, Big Als and anybody else who sells their tanks. J&L and Animal house may be able to get what you are looking for too. Is this what you are looking for ?

- Victor.

Old Guy
09-03-2002, 01:32 AM
Yes Victor, that is close to what I would like. If fact, I like the looks of the modern series. The problem I have found is the height on most of these canopys are fine for no,vho, etc. but I would prefer the halide a little farther from the water.

My plan was to use 1x10 or 1x12 for the sides and 1x20 for the top. Hopefully the halide would then be 8 to 10 inches.

I saw a picture somewhere that had the front and top connected as one piece with the top hinged about 5 inches from the back. Flip open the top and everything is wide open. Instant access with no fuss. The canopy's on the 67gal tanks at Big Al's is simular but is hinged close to the front and too low of a profile. Of course Grant said 4 inches off the water is plenty :rolleyes:

I'm sure I can make it but the fine finish won't be the same. :D

reefburnaby
09-03-2002, 03:37 AM
Hi,

This will give you some ideas :

http://www.cyberreefguru.com/diy/mh_new/mh_new.html

Fit and finish mistakes...nobody will notice. Everybody will be too busy look at your tank smile.gif Seriously, you can usually repair those mistakes with wood putty.

The prefab ones are pretty expensive...I think they run around $300 USD -- stuff fron Tenecor and etc. So, the other option is to get it custom built by a furniture maker. It might be cheaper than you think. I think there is one in Lougheed Mall and Brentwood Mall.

Keep in mind that solid oak is pretty expensive, but it will last. Plywood with a veneer and pine is good...as long as it is painted and sealed well. If you want to save some money, you can ask for them to build it unfinished.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

Old Guy
09-03-2002, 10:06 AM
Thanks Victor,
I have actually talked to the lady in Lougheed Mall of which see gave me a # of a guy in PoCo. Just a matter of going to see him. I think I'll give a couple of woodworkers a call and then when I get over cost shock, probally go back to HD when they are not so busy. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Troy F
09-03-2002, 11:49 AM
You're way more apt to have solid oak, pine, whatever warp than plywood, sealed or not. This isn't to say that plywood won't warp.

Old Guy
09-03-2002, 01:23 PM
I had the same thoughts Troy. One reason I was thinking of laminated pine. If I end up getting someone else to do it, I'm sure it will be ply.

Troy F
09-04-2002, 01:27 AM
If you want to figure out a design I'd be willing to help you out. I have a decent shop available to me.

Old Guy
09-05-2002, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the offer Troy. I actually got off my lazy butt and got the wood etc. yesterday. All ready to assemble and paint. Now I can only hope my design is not flawed and the hood is not to unstable. :D