PDA

View Full Version : Dinoflagellates and Fauna Marin Algae X

mikeclarke
10-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi there,

I have some Dinoflagellates and I want to get rid of them. I looked online where to get some but CanadaCorals and BulkReefSupply are out. Does it work well? Does anyone have experience with Dinos or Algae X?

Basically I have a bit of bubbly brown snot floating up from my live rock and SPS. I am going to the states next week and could order something to the US if anyone knows of good US shippers.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance.

paddyob
10-11-2013, 04:50 PM
I have been using it. My third bottle.

So 90$ in. Still have Dino's.

It "works" but its not a solution. As in I have slowed Dino growth and minimal reduction.

I don't know if I would do it again. But I have a serious outbreak. Complete coverage at one point. Now 50% coverage with manual removal.

AquaPin
10-11-2013, 06:23 PM
It worked but as soon as I stopped using it came back. I now treat with hydrogen peroxide and results were/are better and it only cost $1.87.

iceman86
10-11-2013, 08:41 PM
It worked but as soon as I stopped using it came back. I now treat with hydrogen peroxide and results were/are better and it only cost $1.87.

X2 hydrogen peroxide is safe and very effective.

mikeclarke
10-11-2013, 08:44 PM
How do you administer Hydrogen Peroxide and what is the dosage? I have a 100gallon tank with a 50 gallon sump.

mrhasan
10-11-2013, 09:29 PM
People has success increasing Mg with kent Mg (only). Maybe give that a try? That's a proven solution.

AquaPin
10-11-2013, 10:06 PM
People has success increasing Mg with kent Mg (only). Maybe give that a try? That's a proven solution.

For Dino? I have read several different forums that suggest this for Bryosis, but not Dino.

AquaPin
10-11-2013, 10:11 PM
How do you administer Hydrogen Peroxide and what is the dosage? I have a 100gallon tank with a 50 gallon sump.

There is a lot of info if you google H2O2 or hydrogen peroxide dinoflagellates, but most suggest 10G per 1mL. I use a syringe and squirt it directly on the sand bed where the largest dino collection is.

jostafew
10-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Sorry mike, I feel your pain. Dinos are a plague that I wouldn't wish on any fellow reefer. Different strains of Dinos respond differently to "proven" treatments, but the only thing that was effective for me was complete darkness for 7-10 days.

Have a look over this thread at RC, it's a long one but will probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know about dinos: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1962886

Good luck

mrhasan
10-12-2013, 12:06 AM
For Dino? I have read several different forums that suggest this for Bryosis, but not Dino.

Ops sorry. I mixed up between dino and bryopsis. Please discard my post :)

mikeclarke
10-12-2013, 03:46 PM
I also just realised my UV sterilizer bulb is done. Funny how I just ordered from J&L last week for some other stuff. I'll have to think of some other things to get to get the free shipping.

Would a dead UV sterilizer also contribute to the algae?