PDA

View Full Version : Oh sweet mercy finally !!

FWC
10-09-2013, 10:39 PM
I have just had the biggest weight off my shoulders today.

So my tank has been down in the dumps for quite a while, however the past few months I've finally managed to get everything nice and growing again and picked up a few fish.

One of which was a nice little male Orange Spotted Filefish. I had good luck with my curious female about a year ago, however this male had a far different personality.

He's spent the last few weeks just pacing along the back or hiding along the filter tubing. He had gotten to the point where he was loosing weight bad and I was worrying about him lasting much longer. He had ignored eating everything.

Just finally today though, I added some ova and it seemed to perk him up. Low and behold, I when back to the tank a few hours later to find a completely changed fish. He's now active and swimming abouts the reef, and demolishing chunks of ova.

He's finally switched around and it looks like he'll be on the mend.

Today has been pretty awesome to say the least :mrgreen:

eli@fijireefrock.com
10-09-2013, 10:51 PM
congratulations...glad to hear your fish is out and about:biggrin: The only thing missing is the photo capture of your joy...

FWC
10-09-2013, 11:26 PM
You know who to twist my arm :wink:

Sorry the picture isn't great, my glass isn't super clean and my camera hates fish tanks.

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj404/Fishy-Boy/DSCF9995_zps55012982.jpg (http://s554.photobucket.com/user/Fishy-Boy/media/DSCF9995_zps55012982.jpg.html)

daniella3d
10-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Sweet!

Don't these fish eat corals? sps?

That thing would be the nightmare of my SPS tank lol!

I have just had the biggest weight off my shoulders today.

So my tank has been down in the dumps for quite a while, however the past few months I've finally managed to get everything nice and growing again and picked up a few fish.

One of which was a nice little male Orange Spotted Filefish. I had good luck with my curious female about a year ago, however this male had a far different personality.

He's spent the last few weeks just pacing along the back or hiding along the filter tubing. He had gotten to the point where he was loosing weight bad and I was worrying about him lasting much longer. He had ignored eating everything.

Just finally today though, I added some ova and it seemed to perk him up. Low and behold, I when back to the tank a few hours later to find a completely changed fish. He's now active and swimming abouts the reef, and demolishing chunks of ova.

He's finally switched around and it looks like he'll be on the mend.

Today has been pretty awesome to say the least :mrgreen:

FWC
10-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Sweet indeed.

Also ya, they "selectively" eat SPS. My last one would only eat green Milliepora, and this guy only really likes this green/purple acro. He picks at the Bali tri-color at bit and leaves all my other stuff alone.

From what I understand they also tend to pick at the coral less the more they feed on frozen diet.

Also another update, he will also eat little bits of ground up NLS pellets too :mrgreen:

Taipan
10-10-2013, 03:30 AM
Beautiful. I'm glad you got it eating and it's now thriving. They are notorious for coaxing to eat frozen foods. Congratulations. :mrgreen:

Jaws
10-10-2013, 04:59 AM
Congrats! Beautiful fish. Just curious where you buy that food in Canada?

Ginu
10-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Congrats! Beautiful fish. Just curious where you buy that food in Canada?

I ordered from US and picked it up in Blaine, cost was 9$ and some change for a little bag (I think I ordered about 10 packs)
I got 4 bags and have barely dented the first bag... My mandarin is nice and fat though and she was really skinny when I picked her up :)