PDA

View Full Version : Anthias feeding

Basile
10-07-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm wondering about getting anthias, because of the feeding requirements. If i feed them only twice or 3 time a day would they be ok ? I don't want to rely on automatic feeders while i'm gone they're too messy.

Aquattro
10-07-2013, 02:00 PM
I feed mine 1 to 3 times per day, they seem fine.

thmh
10-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Auto feeder is your friend! :-) for the first few weeks they wouldn't eat pellets so I mixed in flakes and they started getting confused and now they're to fat to say no to anything even nori! :-) I do one spin 4 times daily.

~Tony

kien
10-07-2013, 02:39 PM
autofeeders are definitely messy for flakes, but Tony's suggest to mix in pellets with flake feeding is a great suggestion to ween them off flakes and onto the pelleted auto-feeder. 2 times a day for me on the auto-feeder plus 1 more evening feed of either flakes or frozen foods.

Coasting
10-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Ive only ever fed my tank once a day.
Never had an issue with feeding anthias either.
Just crush up some pellets and feed the same time I offer frozen like cyclopeeze and their wolfing down the pellets.

Fesso
10-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Depends on the type of Anthia. I just made a terrible rookie mistake: on Friday I bought 3 Purple Queen Anthias without a quick google search that would have told me that they are planktivores and need to be fed up to 10x a day with food no bigger then cyclopeeze. They were all dead by Sunday.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-07-2013, 03:29 PM
For lyretails, one to three times daily will do, ime.

lastlight
10-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Depends on the type of Anthia. I just made a terrible rookie mistake: on Friday I bought 3 Purple Queen Anthias without a quick google search that would have told me that they are planktivores and need to be fed up to 10x a day with food no bigger then cyclopeeze. They were all dead by Sunday.

wow i had no idea. wanted to buy a pair a while ago and thankfully i did not. I've always fed once per day and my squarespots are both doing awesome. they're not considered hard to keep though.

notclear
10-07-2013, 03:58 PM

Mine was doing ok until I bought some tiny lyretails and the queen hid until it rip.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Basile
10-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Well like i said i'm not using feeders i've seen what they do to tank parameters and its not pretty. By the way a little trick when you buy a fish always ask what they were feeding them if you know its a difficult fish to feed, and tell them your not buying it until you know it, they smart up real quick before selling it to you. And then you ask them to sell you that same food if they don't have it don't buy the fish, because they were conning you.....simple logic here guys. :biggrin:

Thanks for your input.

kien
10-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Well like i said i'm not using feeders i've seen what they do to tank parameters and its not pretty.

What can they do to tank parameters ?

Basile
10-07-2013, 04:19 PM

You can easily over feed and f.. up your parameter happened to me, never again.

thmh
10-07-2013, 04:20 PM

Yes please explain:-)

~Tony

thmh
10-07-2013, 04:22 PM

Can't you control the auto feeder ie how wide the feeding hole is open and how many spin the feeder does?

~Tony

kien
10-07-2013, 04:23 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Although, you can easily over feed and f.. up your parameter's without the use of an autofeeder too.

kien
10-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Can't you control the auto feeder ie how wide the feeding hole is open and how many spin the feeder does?

~Tony

It depends on the auto-feeder. Some of them don't allow you to adjust the opening. Also, some of them turn on a power timer. That is, power on and hopper turns. Power off and hopper stops. Those can definitely cause problems if the power gets stuck ON. I definitely would not recommend those styles. The battery operated with built in timer and adjustable hopper opening is the way to go in my opinion.

http://www.eheim.com/resources/product/850/images/130118100115.jpg

Basile
10-07-2013, 04:27 PM

~Tony

All auto feeder claim control of food distribution. What they don't say is that food storage in the distributor is not controlled and it becomes, moist, clumpy and after a while doesn't distribute well and in the quantity you've set at the start. It can literally dump in a lump! And its not pretty the mess that you can get after a long period of time. So i don't want that thing near my tank, no sir.

thmh
10-07-2013, 04:30 PM
That's the one I have! :-) thanks for the kien stamped approval, it helps me sleep better at night!

~Tony

Basile
10-07-2013, 04:30 PM
It depends on the auto-feeder. Some of them don't allow you to adjust the opening. Also, some of them turn on a power timer. That is, power on and hopper turns. Power off and hopper stops. Those can definitely cause problems if the power gets stuck ON. I definitely would not recommend those styles. The battery operated with built in timer and adjustable hopper opening is the way to go in my opinion.

http://www.eheim.com/resources/product/850/images/130118100115.jpg

That the one i threw away after i used the hammer on it.

kien
10-07-2013, 04:32 PM
All auto feeder claim control of food distribution. What they don't say is that food storage in the distributor is not controlled and it becomes, moist, clumpy and after a while doesn't distribute well and in the quantity you've set at the start. It can literally dump in a lump! And its not pretty the mess that you can get after a long period of time. So i don't want that thing near my tank, no sir.

That would definitely be problematic ! Thankfully I have never had that problem with my auto-feeder int he 4 years that I've been using it. It has a built in fan to keep the food dry.

http://www.championlighting.com/pics/miscpics/eheim3581.jpg

kien
10-07-2013, 04:33 PM
That the one i threw away after i used the hammer on it.

Sounds like you've had a rough ride with the autofeeders. That's too bad, they are quite useful when they work. Anyway, good luck with the Anthias.

thmh
10-07-2013, 04:34 PM

Ah thanks for the advice Basile! I will now only put 1 week worth of food in my auto feeder so something like this does not happen to me.! :-)

~Tony