PDA

View Full Version : nightly ph drop

rickwaines
10-06-2013, 10:35 PM
So

I am used to a drop ph pH at night. My sump has no lit refugium which can mitigate this.
But in the last few days the nighttime pH as told by my probe has been dropping from 8.2 to 7.8 7.9. In the past few months it has been fluctuating from 8.4 at end of photo period to 8.1 before photo period. I have checked it with test kit but it usually is accurate.
My tank is about 8 months old and I have recently gotten my phosban reactor on line properly. Previously I was running it in a reactor that I that I am pretty sure wasn't working properly. So, I have been battling phosphate a bit but it is now dropping. The rowa phos says that I can expect a lowering of the pH initially and so perhaps this is simply what I am experiencing.
I have also begun vodka dosing as well
But I thought it would be good to check in with the hive mind.

So the two things that have changed is a proper phosphate removal system and vodka dosing.
I dose two little fishies two part c balance.
tank is a 40 g cube with skimmer.

params
kH 11 and stable
calc 450-470
mag. 1380
phosphate .015 ish
spec grav 1.026

Thank you in advance, Rick

1eyedjyde
10-07-2013, 12:16 AM
When are you dosing vodka? And how much? That could drop ph a bit but you'd have to be dosing quite a bit.

spit.fire
10-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Do you run your skimmer 24/7?

Vodka can drop it a tiny bit

Craigdillman
10-07-2013, 04:26 AM
is it causing anyproblems cause most tanks drop PH at night its natural and nothing to worry about, the ocean dose it. In the day there is a excess metabolic demand therefore increse gas exhange and in turn raise in PH while at night there is a slowing of everything and there for the ph drops and becomes more acidic .... unless you see a problem it probably did that way longer than when u strated to mesure it

Fesso
10-07-2013, 03:22 PM
is it causing anyproblems cause most tanks drop PH at night its natural and nothing to worry about, the ocean dose it. In the day there is a excess metabolic demand therefore increse gas exhange and in turn raise in PH while at night there is a slowing of everything and there for the ph drops and becomes more acidic .... unless you see a problem it probably did that way longer than when u strated to mesure it

+1

I started tracking my PH quite a few months ago and noticed quite a swing (8.4-7.8) and started to freak out and wonder why and how I could fix it. But then I did some reading and the real question is:
How does your tank look? Is everything healthy?
I don't worry about it anymore. Everything seems fine.

rickwaines
10-08-2013, 01:47 AM
When are you dosing vodka? And how much? That could drop ph a bit but you'd have to be dosing quite a bit.

I have been dosing .5 ml once a day. I started at .2 ml once a day.

rickwaines
10-08-2013, 01:48 AM
Do you run your skimmer 24/7?

Vodka can drop it a tiny bit

I run my skimmer 24/7.

rickwaines
10-08-2013, 01:49 AM

I am imagining that my concern is perhaps much ado about nothing but I am new to the salt end of aquariums and enjoy learning from folks. thanks!

rickwaines
10-08-2013, 01:50 AM
+1

I started tracking my PH quite a few months ago and noticed quite a swing (8.4-7.8) and started to freak out and wonder why and how I could fix it. But then I did some reading and the real question is:
How does your tank look? Is everything healthy?
I don't worry about it anymore. Everything seems fine.

CHECK!