PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Live Rock, Corals and fish (full tank)

GoFish
10-06-2013, 05:30 AM
Im interested in purchasing all the live rock and livestock from another members tank and placing it all in my tank.

Details:
Its a 20 minute drive or less.
Both tanks are RSM 130Ds
My tank at home is filled with water, heated with flow and filter, and has new Caribsea Arag-alive substrate.

Stock list of tank to be transported

40 pounds rock
40 pounds sand (would not be needed but may take it anyway)
4 BTA anemones
fuji yellow leather
some sps
gaint squamosa clam
black Ocellaris Clownfish hosts in BTA

I am wondering if someone knows of a link to a walk through on the process of doing this. If it were separate items I would be fine but having so many things to keep alive it just seems a little overwhelming to think about.
Mainly the acclimation from current tank water to mine in such volume. I would really hope I can keep the anemones, clown and clam alive for sure, however everything would be ideal!

Input greatly appreciated in advance!

I can post a picture of the current tank if needed

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Sounds like these are newly setup tanks. If that is the case, getting anemones and clams into new systems is usually not a good idea. These reef critters prefer a much more mature system not go into a new tank.

GoFish
10-06-2013, 07:18 AM
The tank at my house is new yes, has only had water in it for 1 week. The tank that this would be coming from judging by the size of one of the SPS colonies has been setup for several years (i forgot to ask).
If my cal, alk, mag levels are good in the new tank, 0 nitrates, nitrites, phosphates and importing all live rock, is it just that my water would be too clean?
I could just import all the water from the original tank and dump my full tank of NSW (or just use it for a water change in my other tank). Or use half old and half new water?

jason604
10-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Sounds like these are newly setup tanks. If that is the case, getting anemones and clams into new systems is usually not a good idea. These reef critters prefer a much more mature system not go into a new tank.

wouldnt it be pretty much the same tank cuz its the same rock/sand same water etc just different container(tank)...? im prob wrong, but can sum1 shine some light on me n tell me why?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Can you guarantee no die off when transporting the live rock from one house to another across town or even from another city?

If any sponge on the live rock, for instance, dies from exposure to air while being lifted out of the tank or during transport, it will release ammonia so then you'll go through a mini-cycle. Anemones and clams are not the sort of creatures you want to "test" your new set up with. A) more sensitive than say soft corals. B) more expensive and difficult to replace than soft corals. C) the water will be totally different (new water in a new tank versus old water in a mature tank).

I've set up a lot of "instant" reefs in my day, just switching tanks around at home or helping someone move or even buying someone else's setup and moving it to my place. Instant reefs always entail some level of risk that something will go wrong and if you're not prepared, then things die, perhaps a lot of things die.

This is why it is not considered a good calculated risk to do this with sensitive species like anemones and clams. I have done it a lot with softies and lps though, which are usually hardier.

For this sort of switchover, I would suggest siphoning half your water out into some containers for future water changes and top up with clean water from the original tank. Keep it ready in case a big water change suddenly becomes necessary.

Transport all the rock full submerged in coolers (I use 2 of my rolling 72L capacity "7-days ice stays frozen" coolers for moving rocks, etc.). Temperatures are cool nowadays so use coolers for transporting each item/specimen.

Find out parameters in the other tank and try to match (i.e. same pH, temp., etc).

Siphon out water you plan to keep first, before disturbing the tank by lifting up rock or moving sand.

Basically treat it as a big 50% water change.

Have a back up plan, like a nearby reefer buddy who could hold your clam or anemones if you experience a mini-cycle or something.

Good luck,

Anthony

JmeJReefer
10-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Just did a whole tank move... Kept live rock in the water from original tank in one container. Kept coral n fish in separate containers with new sw. Transported everything and zero casualties.
The sps might be a little ticked but they r tougher than they look...
They all managed to get here from across the world. Work quickly and carefully and things will go well...

GoFish
10-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice Anthony! I will give this some thought and decide whether his venture is even worth the risk. Any other advice in the meantime would be noted. If I make this move I'll post an update.

Cheers

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Moving anemones is not a problem, but having them adapt to a new tank sometimes is more of a problem.

With a giant squamosa, be aware of having it out of the water. I usually "roll" my clam around in my hand as I place it into the tank to allow an air bubbles to be released before settling it into its place. Trapped air bubbles inside the clam can cause it problems. Keep everything (clams, anemones and live rock) submerged as much as possible to reduce stress.

If you plan things well and work swiftly, it should be fine. Just wanted you to be aware that anemones and clams are more sensitive about going into a newly set up tank (read any of the experts' advice or google it). I usually try to add some of the original tank water if I'm doing an "instant" reef, and treat it like a massive water change, as I stated before.