PDA

View Full Version : washing filter socks with Tide(machine)

Rogue951
10-06-2013, 03:45 AM
did it without thinking cause I remembered reading it somewhere, just throw it in the machine, no softener should be fine...
didn't remember what soap they used and didn't think of it till after.

Do I have to be worried about anything (chemically) sticking in the sock?
will give it a good rinse of course.

should i be using simple green instead?

1eyedjyde
10-06-2013, 03:50 AM
Not sure about soap but I just use bleach. You should be able to rinse the soap out of the socks.

Madreefer
10-06-2013, 03:50 AM
I've never heard of anyone using soap. When I ran filter socks I only used bleach. Is put them back in the wash a few more times with bleach or vinegar to get all the traces of soap out of them.

Rogue951
10-06-2013, 03:54 AM
damnit thats right bleach why did I use soap... dont know what I was thinking lol.... mind obviously on something else... thx guys.

paddyob
10-06-2013, 04:24 AM
I'm not sure I would use soap.

Soaps leave residues on things.

I'm not sure I would use those again before washing and washing again.

Ryanerickson
10-06-2013, 04:33 AM
I made this mistake I used no soap but only washed the bags once I guess there was soap residue still in the machine the bags picked up and wiped my entire tank out by the next day this happend to me many years ago be carefull with those bags I would wash them lots.

jason604
10-06-2013, 05:08 AM
i just take a hose n pretty much shoot all the nasty stuff out lol... turns perfectly white again after

banditpowdercoat
10-06-2013, 07:17 AM
I dont even use bleach no more!!!! Just water

Read some articles, and I also notice when I use bleach, and let air dry for days after, my skimmer goes insane for 3 days after putting sock in! Just water in machine and socks, they look about the same clean, and skimmer is fine. And I even tried a extra rinse cycle with bleach. Washer is a new Kenmore front loader, great quality too, cost me a bundle, atleast a fully stocked 75g worth LOL

Reef Supplies
10-06-2013, 01:30 PM
we use bleach and after rinsing we soak in tap water and sachem prime (any decholrinator will suffice) for 24 hours and rinse again. Skimmer is not affected.

Ray

MitchM
10-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Yeah, don't use detergent. That will contribute phosphate to your system.
It's interesting about the increased skimmer activity with filter socks.
I recently purchased new socks and even straight out of the package the skimmer overflowed after installing one.
Straight out of the washing machine, no bleach, will still overflow the skimmer.
Maybe I'll try the Prime idea.
I programmed a maintenance program on my Profilux now that will shut off power to the skimmer air for 2 hours that I use after installing a fresh sock.
That seems to help quite a bit.

Myka
10-06-2013, 02:04 PM
we use bleach and after rinsing we soak in tap water and sachem prime (any decholrinator will suffice) for 24 hours and rinse again. Skimmer is not affected.

Ray

You don't need dechlor. Bleach is off-gassed when it dries. It doesn't matter if you air dry or machine dry. I like to machine dry on low heat for 20 mins inside out and 20 mins right way out because it removes loose pieces of felt.

Magickiwi
10-06-2013, 03:08 PM
You don't need dechlor. Bleach is off-gassed when it dries. It doesn't matter if you air dry or machine dry. I like to machine dry on low heat for 20 mins inside out and 20 mins right way out because it removes loose pieces of felt.

I only use vinegar to clean my aquarium stuff. The worst it could do is alter my pH slightly but after rinsing there is so little left all there isn't enough to do that. No soap, no bleach, just vinegar and fresh water. And there isn't much that vinegar can't disinfect or dissolve.

Reef Supplies
10-06-2013, 04:40 PM
True but we don't have a dryer at the shop. Sometimes they don't have time to dry. I also feel safer using it.

H2o2
10-07-2013, 02:43 AM
I just power wash mine with my 1600 psi power washer from costco , I made up a holder out of stucco wire slip the sock over top blast away and u should see the stuff come out . When I am done it is not stone white but they are clean and ready to use or hang on line to dry it takes 10 minutes a bag but it just part of doing business

gregzz4
10-07-2013, 04:15 AM
In your shoes I'd probably toss the socks, but that's me
Maybe a few washes in water only will remove all the soap residue, but that's your call

I used to bleach my socks and wash them a rediculous amount of times
I even did the prime in RO after thing

Now all I do is turn them inside out, rinse with a heavy stream in the laundry tub, wash in warm water on regular, turn right side out and stand on the plastic ring to dry
And I find they're just as clean as when I used bleach

I'm using 75% less water in the machine than I used to, using no bleach, and wasting neither prime nor RO