PDA

View Full Version : bulk chemicals

e46er
10-05-2013, 09:56 PM
hey there
i havent really been around the forums too much lately tank has been running great no issues no questions for all you wise folk and i was crazy busy over the summer.
needless to say after some tank maintaince pump cleaning ect i notice im getting low on calcium and carbon.

i used to use little silver max stuff then he quit selling so i went to eli at caco3 reef and was happy with his products...... now his site says its updating ect but it was posted a year ago......... is he still in business or where does everyone order from now??
cheers Kent

eli@fijireefrock.com
10-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Caco3reef been sold out. ...but I am still around and now with fijireefrock.com I still carry the chemical line I had. ..you could pm me or email me at eli@fijireefrock.com for any product pricing you require.
Cheers

Reef Supplies
10-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Right up our alley :-)

We have been researching this for over a year now and it has not been easy! Well, the CA was rather easy but the ALK part was a nightmare.

Bulk CA: http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/bulk-reef/

There are many many many chemical suppliers of "quality" bulk soda ash. Do a google search and you'll find tons. The problem is that their quality is not what we in the hobby consider quality. They did not intend to grow sensitive sps corals :-) In the past year we have brought in over 100 pounds of soda ash samples with 97%+ pure COA sheets. We field tested every single one and most failed. They failed in our test tank and our lab tests. Yupp, we sent some to a lab for testing.

The ones that failed did not show any real negative affects on SPS. SPS still grew but some coloration was effected. The real bad stuff melted some LPS corals yet SPS were not affected. Some of the cleaner stuff had positive affects on corals but caused cyano outbreaks.

A year down the line we have finally hit the nail on the head. We found super super clean soda ash that we will soon be selling in bulk. This batch passed every lab test with flying colours. It also had surprisingly low NPOC! The stuff is amazing.

Now we look forward to testing MgCl2.6h2O and MgSO4. Good times!

Ray

wayner
10-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Looking forward to it - BRS shipping is a killer - have you tested BRS at all - just wondering how your new find will compare to BRS

mark
10-05-2013, 10:56 PM
alk a problem? Just picked up 5 big boxes from Sobeys on sell.

Reef Supplies
10-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Looking forward to it - BRS shipping is a killer - have you tested BRS at all - just wondering how your new find will compare to BRS

We have not but an independent test in Montreal has been done. He tested most of the usual suspects and BRS was the cleanest of the bunch.

We will post our results once we are ready to launch.

alk a problem? Just picked up 5 big boxes from Sobeys on sell.

Our standards are extremely high.