PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Coral

DOO-E
06-30-2004, 04:09 PM
I have a fuzzy mushroom, striped mushroom, 3 green spotted mushroms, GSP's, and 2 feather duster worms in my tank now. What can i buy for these things that will help them grow. I have had pretty good growth now, fuzzy has plit once and is about to split again, ii just want to halep increase it a little. the LFS is looking for frags i figure i can build up a little store credit for the big tank.

MitchM
06-30-2004, 06:30 PM
... What can i buy for these things that will help them grow....

A good book for yourself....seriously.

Do you have any books that you are using for reference?
I suggest that before you push the limits of excess nutrients in your system, you concentrate on keeping a stable and clean set-up for a while.
Otherwise, you tank will wind up crashing and you will lose all that you have worked for.

Mitch

Snoop Dog
07-01-2004, 03:27 AM
edited due to content.

DOO-E
07-01-2004, 01:44 PM
I am using a couple different books right now. umm marine encyplopedia, set byb step set up and clownfish, there are a couple other also but i cant remember them Still what can i feed these corals phyto, golden pearls what?

MitchM
07-01-2004, 02:11 PM
DOO-E,

The internet can be a great place for information, but if you come to it with little or no knowledge, it will end up being frustrating. You can ask one question and get 5 different answers.

The best use of the internet is to have a fair understanding of what you are talking about and come here afterwards for confirmation and shared experiences.

Which books specifically do you have?
I have almost 20 within arms reach of my computer that I can access for reference.

If you want to be successful with your aquarium, you have to read and understand them.

...and do you know what I mean by excess nutrients?

Mitch

TANGOMAN
07-01-2004, 02:21 PM
I place myself in the rookie category concerning corals however this much I do know, they will benefit mostly from a balanced system that has matured. One which posses', (sp?, if it matters), consistancy and ideal water conditions. The correct lighting will be essential, as will their placement within the system.
These factors all take time to achieve substantial growth.
Simply adding nutrients for feeding purposes will ultimately lead to the growth of other single & multi cellular organisms... :wink: . I would doubt the LFS in yours, or any area, would be interested in trading these life forms...
Another consideration I'm sure your already aware of is the combined use of a "display tank" with that of a "frag" tank. Now yes, it can be done, many do. I admire those that achieve success with this combination but they are certainly dealing with a system that possesses many of the criteria previously mentioned. I would also consider them "intermediate to advance" coral "propogators". Corals take time to adjust whenever they are re-located. Fish on the other hand, simply don't like having their environment screwed around with. Established fish are far more tollerant. Newly introduced fish get very aggitated when distruptions occur as they are battling for complacancy in their new surroundings. This stress factor, in my opinion, is the leading cause of disease outbreak in any system. That is the easiest "stressor" to avoid.
I would suggest a separate system for the "barter project", and allow yourself, and everyone, the enjoyment that comes with watching a system mature. It's worth the wait !!!

sea gnome
07-01-2004, 07:12 PM
DOO-EE, have you read my posts on the crashing of the tank? I have had the tank for about 5 yrs and it is absolutely decimated,. the leaky tank reapair was only supposed to take 2 days to fix and then the tank would be back together again. but things happened and now i am back to square one. I will not be added any livestock for 4-6 wks to rule out any bacteria infection and get the chemistry sorted out again. Why do you have corals. I beleive late july was mentioned as reasonalable date to introduce livestock. I know a little bit, but these people have been doing it longer and more successfully than you and me, just be patient.

DOO-E
07-01-2004, 09:56 PM
Mitch i am not home right now but i will get the books for you when i am there. Tangoman how would you know my LFS isnt interested? have you talked to him? I really dont think so. I have he said that he was interested in ANYTHING i can get for him. I am not really setting up a "frag tank" as you would call it. The corals i would be trading in would be corals that say out grew their"area" of the tank and need to be fragged. i would trade the frags in. Sea Gnome how about we get the spelling of my name right okay? I have corals since the all the fish died. I only lost the fish not the GSP's, Mushrooms, or Feather Dusters. This is why i have them.

Doug
07-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Guys, lets keep to the subject at hand.

Doo-e, Please keep your posts less aggressive towards others posting on the same thread and then they would hopefully do the same.

Thanks

kuatto
07-02-2004, 01:56 AM
DOO-E
Give "cyclop-eeze"(not sure of spelling)in small amounts.I feed it to all my corals.J&L sells it at a reasonable price for a big container.
Mushrooms are kinda funny things,sometimes they spread without any special feeding and other times seems like they never spread :biggrin:

DOO-E
07-02-2004, 02:52 AM
thanks Kuatto i will try it. Ya i have seen this a buddy has a sriped mushroom never ever used to multiply until 2 weeks ago now it is sourrounded by little mushrooms. Lets say i have a mushrooms that doesnt multiply could feeding help it?

muck
07-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Sea Gnome how about we get the spelling of my anme right okay?

:rofl:

Thanks Doo-E. That was classic...

DOO-E
07-02-2004, 05:34 PM
LOL that was funny i am sorry about that one LOL i am stupid yes i know