PDA

View Full Version : Lonely clown fish

kuatto
06-30-2004, 03:53 AM
Came home tonight to find my male clown dead :cry: Looks like there was a big panic in the tank,frags nocked over and he was on the intake screen for one of the power heads.Now she just circles around searching for her mate,its really heart breaking.
They were togather for nearly 3 years,so I don't know if I should get another to take the male's place or just leave her?Will she accept another clown(false clown)?

steve.bridges
06-30-2004, 04:10 AM
im not certain but i think they have to be introduced as pairs otherwise they fight. Unless you have a large tank.

Probably best to wait for someone who knows a little more than me :biggrin:

good luck

DOO-E
06-30-2004, 04:24 AM
You may not think it but i am pretty good on information with clowns. Here is what to do. Pair then like maroons. Place a safe haven in the tank for the smaller clown but allow the smaller clown all access to the tank. Make sure the holes in the haven are big enough for the small clowns but small enough that the bigger clown cannot get through. Or perhaps but a clown that is a little bigger. But if she is searching now would be the best time to get one as she is looking for either a her old mate or b a clown to replace the old one. Soory to hear about the clowns do you have any idea why it died?

AJ_77
06-30-2004, 04:33 AM
When I introduced a new male I picked one half her size, then acclimated and put him in the tank inside a clear plastic "critter keeper." She had time to show me her intentions toward him, and after a couple hours with no visible aggression, I released him.

She showed him who was boss for a few minutes, he did the shakey-shakey, and things calmed down that same night.

They were both false percs.

DOO-E
06-30-2004, 04:53 AM
the nice thing about Ocellaris clowns is that you can keep more than 2 and they get along

johnny rock
07-01-2004, 01:51 AM
until the pair starts mating! then they won't get along so well [all 3]
of course depending on tank size

zulu_principle
07-01-2004, 05:49 AM
Came home tonight to find my male clown dead :cry: Looks like there was a big panic in the tank,frags nocked over and he was on the intake screen for one of the power heads.Now she just circles around searching for her mate,its really heart breaking.
They were togather for nearly 3 years,so I don't know if I should get another to take the male's place or just leave her?Will she accept another clown(false clown)?

Unfortuantely it happens, and sometimes it just could be some type of imbalance (chemical) in one of the fish.

Were they laying eggs ?

I would be paitient until you see longer term how the female reacts, could be should could also die, just make sure she is eating.

Doo-e brings up a couple of interesting points as to why they died, but these are not Maroons and should not be mated as such.

JMEHO

Wendell

dyereefer
07-01-2004, 06:11 AM
here here to you zulu.
You got the guts to say what the rest of us do not.

DOO-E
07-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Okay first Johnny in the book clownfish by joyce D. Wilkerson it clearly states that more than 2 ocellaris clowns will pai the female will be extremly aggressive to all new comers and thus the smaller clown should be treated with the upmost saftey

MitchM
07-01-2004, 02:36 PM
:confused:

You know...when we post responses on the board here....we're not just talking to the one person concerned.......

Other people that are considering posting questions won't if there's a chance they're going to be ridiculed by experienced reefers.

Mitch

Beverly
07-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, Jim :frown:

In a couple of different tanks at different times over the years, I lost mates to both ocellaris and skunk clowns. Each time, after waiting a week or so, I simply added the replacement clown to the tank. Each new clown was persistent in trying to get close to the original clown, but the original clown spent 2-3 days fending off the attentions of the new clown with aggressive behaviour. In the end, the original clowns accepted the new clowns, but I was always a little concerned about harm coming to the new clowns for those few days.

kuatto
07-01-2004, 09:24 PM
She seems to be acting her usual self again,eating well.I'm going to wait for a bit before introducing another,just to see if it wasn't some desease(better save than sorry).I have 25 paid days to sit and keep an eye on things :cool:
Thanks for all the help.

johnny rock
07-01-2004, 10:11 PM
theres a history here bud and other boards so don't be alarmed when the responces to DOO--EE threads aren't positive. "lol"

zulu_principle
07-01-2004, 10:37 PM
I have altered my post.

Mitch is right, its the wrong forum to air my dirty laundry.

Apologize to those that might have been offended.

Wendell

Doug
07-01-2004, 10:50 PM
:neutral:

kuatto
07-02-2004, 10:31 PM
I guess she couldn't live without her mate,cause I found her on the carpet today,hell this is getting frustrating :evil: just when I think things are going good...
I've heard of clowns that jump and thought it will never happen to mine.Now I have to figure out how to tell my4yr old daughter(she really hasn't noticed yet that both are gone :frown: )

AJ_77
07-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Grab a new pair quick - she might never notice...

kuatto
07-02-2004, 10:45 PM
:idea: I could run when my wife gets home,or I could say they're out visiting their fish friends for a couple of days,that should buy me some time.

AJ_77
07-02-2004, 10:47 PM
:idea: I could run when my wife gets home,or I could say they're out visiting their fish friends for a couple of days,that should buy me some time.

Exactly! :biggrin: ...or, they have to stay for a day at the "fish hospital" with the other clownfishes until they get better... then they can come home again.

You go, Dad!

:wink:

kuatto
07-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Yea,she took a long time to foregive me when I gave her"Dorey" (yellow tail blue damsal)away!can't go through that again :frown:

Azilla
07-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Sorry for your loss man! i love my clown to death he is right there when i am there. so i have one false clown this means i cant get another DAMN! i was planning on gettin another this sucks :cry: :cry: :cry:

is there anyway to tell if there females to males?

kuatto
07-02-2004, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't say you can't add another,I think as long as you have a few safe retreats for the new clown to hide untill they get use to each other(I could be wrong.)Go pick up one of those clear plastic tank dividers,that way they could see each other and not harm each other,you can get them at most fish stores for a wide range of sizes.
One will grow bigger and change into female once they're togather.

johnny rock
07-02-2004, 11:50 PM
something else is up here, one clown dead and another carpet surfed. Ive had clowns [different types] and found them to be extremely hardy. I think there might be some water issues or aggression

kuatto
07-03-2004, 12:38 AM
Well I guess the only thing to do is test my water.Corals are all doing well,and the other 2 fish are eating and behaving normal,so I don't know.I agree about clowns being hardy creatures,had mine for almost 3 years without any problems.I'll see what comes from the tests.

AJ_77
07-03-2004, 12:41 AM
Well I guess the only thing to do is test my water.Corals are all doing well,and the other 2 fish are eating and behaving normal,so I don't know.I agree about clowns being hardy creatures,had mine for almost 3 years without any problems.I'll see what comes from the tests.
What are the other 2 fish? You described a scene of chaos in the original post of this thread - any clues as to what went on??

kuatto
07-03-2004, 01:01 AM
The other fish include a small yellow tang and a lawnmower blenny,also a green brittle and asst snails/hermits.I found several coral frags had been nocked over(usually only see 1 or 2 every once in a while from the 2 bigger snails).
PH = 8.2-8.4(hard to tell exactly on the chart)
Amonia =0-0.1
Temp =just below 86(been a little high since the weather changed)

DOO-E
07-03-2004, 01:17 AM
One will grow bigger and change into female once they're togather.

I wouldnt say this. All clownfish will grow into females. Even if they are on their own. It is when there is a presence of a more dominant clowns that one will turn into a male. Then any others will reide with the pair but will remain unsexed. They can change. When the male dies one of the subordinates will turn into male. Or when the females dies the male will take her place and the subordinate will take the males place. Although most clowns will not tolerate subordinate fish. Clark's, Skunks, and False Percula Clowns Will. You will need a fairly large tank so the less dominant can hide. Flase Perculas dont need a large tank for the subordinates they are the only clown that will tolerater subordinate clowns to a certain degree. In the book Clownfish by Joyce D. Wilkerson it staits that Flase Percual Clownfish can be keep with more than 2 clowns per tank. I think it was here that said she had 4 in a tank and one of the subordinates even helped the male care for the eggs. this is sweet. Hope your kids dont give you crap for the missing clown good idea on the "hospuital thing" just dont tell them when you are going to get it b/c they will want to come. that isnt a good idea. Good Luck

AJ_77
07-03-2004, 02:12 AM
The other fish include a small yellow tang and a lawnmower blenny,also a green brittle and asst snails/hermits.I found several coral frags had been nocked over(usually only see 1 or 2 every once in a while from the 2 bigger snails).
PH = 8.2-8.4(hard to tell exactly on the chart)
Amonia =0-0.1
Temp =just below 86(been a little high since the weather changed)
What size is your Green Brittle Star? They have a reputation for being hunters - sometimes... if we could get onto reefkeeping.com they have an article on starfish this month.

kuatto
07-03-2004, 04:25 AM
The star is about the size of a tooney in the body,and each leg(2.5)is about 6inches long.He pretty much stays in one of the caves at one end of the tank and waits till I drop food near him.
If he is the culprit,wouldn't he have eaten the bodies?

Azilla
07-03-2004, 05:20 AM
Hmmm My clown loves my attention so if i get another one i should keep it seprated by a wall??? Should i buy the smallest one i see like a baby?? Should i pick one thats like a loner in a tank or paired?

AJ_77
07-03-2004, 05:40 AM
Jim, maybe an attempted attack is what caused the initial disturbance, and the chaos/mess/casualty. The 2nd attempt may have driven the last clown to jump.

Just speculating of course - sounds dramatic doesn't it?.. I imagine the truth would be stranger than my fiction. Just leery of those larger stars, after reading some accounts of their hunting style and experiences of people losing livestock to them (or thinking they had).

kuatto
07-03-2004, 11:34 PM
I decided to move some rock and find the big green brittle star and found what looked like a grave yard :evil: that would exsplain why I 've been seen fewer and fewer hermits/snails,don't have any proof he might be resposible for the clowns.He get fed clams,shrimp several times a week,so I never suspected he would do something like this(do I feel like an idiot :redface: )
Anyone want a 3 legged star?If I don't get the call from the govenor by Monday,the death sentence will be carried out.....

DOO-E
07-04-2004, 12:48 AM
Kuatto if you are really that mad at it send it to the LFS in trade for something else like replacing them hermits or a new clown this may not pitch for all the hermits or a clown but at least you wont have to spend full price.