PDA

View Full Version : Does Anything Eat Spaghetti Worms?

LeanneP
10-01-2013, 01:00 AM
I have these long skinny white worms that come out of a little white tube that I think are spaghetti worms. I am starting to have an overabundance of them. Does anyone know if something will eat them?

Leanne P

Coral Hoarder
10-01-2013, 01:17 AM
predatory shrimp or crabs wrass

LeanneP
10-01-2013, 03:38 AM
What shrimp and crabs specifically as I have 2 cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs or do I just need more of a cleanup crew.

Leanne

Coral Hoarder
10-02-2013, 04:45 AM
arow crab saly light foot

Ram3500
10-02-2013, 04:53 AM
Copperband butterflyfish the problem is keeping them alive

Coral Hoarder
10-02-2013, 05:36 AM
i forgot to ask you posted this in the reef section so im trying tyo think of reef safe fish does it have coral

kien
10-02-2013, 02:56 PM
I have these long skinny white worms that come out of a little white tube that I think are spaghetti worms. I am starting to have an overabundance of them. Does anyone know if something will eat them?

Leanne P

Do yours come out during the day? Generally they only come out at night to feed, and they typically are not an issue in a reef. I have quite a few of them yet none of my fish or inverts seem to care to eat them. I consider them part of my clean up crew as they capture waste particles in the water and sandbed.

pinkreef
10-02-2013, 05:03 PM
filefish does but they eat paly and zoe skirts too

Proteus
10-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Sound more like vermetid snails or digitata hydroids

LeanneP
10-02-2013, 07:31 PM
I am pretty sure they are spaghetti worms. I wouldn't be too concerned about them except they are starting to be everywhere and the tubules are growing on my corals. I am cutting back on my feeding as I feed a little heavy and I was wondering if that is part of the problem. They are out during the day and are more active at feeding. I'm not stressing about them, just wanting to make sure to keep them in check.

smokinreefer
10-02-2013, 09:36 PM
I am pretty sure they are spaghetti worms. I wouldn't be too concerned about them except they are starting to be everywhere and the tubules are growing on my corals. I am cutting back on my feeding as I feed a little heavy and I was wondering if that is part of the problem. They are out during the day and are more active at feeding. I'm not stressing about them, just wanting to make sure to keep them in check.

if they are spaghetti worms, the population will regulate themselves depending on food availability. so yes, heavy feedings will affect its population.

are the "tubules" hard or soft? if its a hard tube, theyre vermitids, which typically irritate other corals. so you'd want to keep them in check for sure.

if they are true spaghetti worms, Id just leave them be. or feed in smaller portions so not much food wasted.

hth

gregzz4
10-03-2013, 03:12 AM
There's tube worms and there's spaghetti worms
Spags in my tank are red and spread out from a base looking like a mass of tendrils feeling around everywhere
Tubes in my tank have 1 tendril and a white tube

Vermatids look similar to tube worms in that they have a tube, but they throw out a sticky tendril and make a real mess like a spider web