PDA

View Full Version : GFI - all created equal?

mr_alberta
06-29-2004, 09:30 PM
I was at my local Home Depot today and was looking at some of the GFI outlets they had. They had ones ranging from $11 to $20. Now my question is, are they all basically the same? Is there anything in particular I should look out for in a GFI (i.e. rated 15A or rated 20A, etc).

I also noticed some have an indicator light on them. Do you find the indicator lights on these outlets useful or should I just save the $2 and get the plain old one? Also, are these outlets easy to install? The only wiring I've done is to hook up my ballast and lights.

Thanks.

Bob I
06-30-2004, 01:19 AM
I was at my local Home Depot today and was looking at some of the GFI outlets they had. They had ones ranging from $11 to $20. Now my question is, are they all basically the same? Is there anything in particular I should look out for in a GFI (i.e. rated 15A or rated 20A, etc).

They are all the same. you will only be able to get one rated at 15A because that is all you are allowed as your entire circuit is only protected by a 15A breaker.

I also noticed some have an indicator light on them. Do you find the indicator lights on these outlets useful or should I just save the $2 and get the plain old one? Also, are these outlets easy to install? The only wiring I've done is to hook up my ballast and lights.

Thanks.

The indicator light is not needed. Save the two bucks and get a plain one. They are easy enough to install if you know what you are doing. If you don't know then get your friendly qualified Electrician to do it. If you were not so far away I could do it for you. :mrgreen:

mr_alberta
06-30-2004, 01:36 AM
Great, thanks Bob.