PDA

View Full Version : calcium

reefnut
06-29-2004, 01:23 PM
what are alternative sources for calcium other than expensive toys.Are there any half decent liquid or powder additives?And how about all the trace elements any drops for those.

pocilipora
06-29-2004, 11:53 PM
Kalkwasser works well, and nothing else.

Aquattro
06-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Right. Kalk is available locally for cheap, an dis a great source of calcium and alkalinity. This assumes you have some way of slowly adding it to your tank.
If not, several 2 part solutions are offered.

Many people believe other trace elements aren't required, since regular partial water changes replace those. And everyone does regular partial water changes, right? :razz:

johnny rock
06-30-2004, 12:22 AM
many products out there, I like SEACHEM reef builder and, KENT TURBO as well as SEACHEM ALK. KALK is awsome to help keep your numbers there and is a balanced 2 part but will not rase your numbers so you need to keep an eye on them. KALK also helps precipitate PHOSPHATES.BUT!!!! :lol: nothing beats a reactor.

reefnut
06-30-2004, 12:25 AM
thanks guys.What is your opinion on getting all trace elements including calcium from regular say weekly 10 percent water changes.Tank is 33 gals lightly stocked just want one or two small things to look at.Maybe say after more reading a small clam or coral.All i have is a condy that seams to be doing really well with no special attention.

johnny rock
06-30-2004, 02:12 AM
yes I see no reason to add anything when you run a small tank with a light coral load. if your keeping to softies and maybe the occasional SPS you should be fine with water changes but test your water and you should have some additives [cal,alk,buf] on hand anyways and/or drip KLK.