PDA

View Full Version : Curing dead rock

SleepyPirate
09-29-2013, 12:50 AM
So just a couple quick questions, I got about 60ish pounds of dead rock and steamed it at high presure for about 4 hrs at 600 Degrees. (I work with oil tankers and its enough to clean one out to eat out of). I then hosed the rocks off for about 10 mins to get anything off of it i could like sand and whatever would come out, I then put it in some water iv been taking out for water changes and added a prawn in a mesh bag with a fan and heater, its been about 3 weeks since I did that. Im just wonder what else i need to do and when i take shrimp out ect.. I havent tested or done any new water changes since just let it sit. Can someone give me a quick run down on what to do next?:question:

Slyguy00
09-29-2013, 03:34 AM
the only way you will know if its ready is to test your water. You need to test for nitrates and nitrates, as well as phosphates and ammonia. And thats just to start. once you see those go down to 0 you can slowly start to add things. Slowly being the key word. This is just a quick run down, but I recommend looking up how to cycle your tank on you tube. Will give you a much better explanation than i am able to.

SleepyPirate
09-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Well my tank is already cycled with corals and live rock and a few fish. I just want to add more rock and have this rock curing in the basement, Im just not sure when its ready to add to the display tank.

Madreefer
09-29-2013, 10:05 PM
I'd just add one chunk at a time every week until it's all in. Should'nt have any spikes at all. That's all i've done when adding more rock. No problems.