PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this LED fixture...

Abbyreefer
09-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Planning on a 20x18x20 high cube tank. A few fish with softies and some LPS. Any thoughts/advice on this fixture ?

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-featuring-1W-LED-p/56260.htm

Thanks !

Skimmerking
09-28-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm not LED master. I know with mine I have the GHL MITRAS. But I like super high end equipment. as for your light for what you are looking for seems great. however the leds would e nice if they had a dimmer switch for the blue and the white, cause you are stuck with 1 setting. on and Off. However with that being said. its a pretty cool looking LED light

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Great price but personally, I wouldn't want to have an LED light over my tank without a dimmer switch. Corals need time to adjust to LED's intensity. My main tank was a 60-70% for months before bumping up to full power, although mine is a DIY unit using 10w emitters. Still, if these 3w emitters are any good, they will be pretty intense for the corals and should be dimmed to begin with and slowly ramped up.

Anthony

mark
09-28-2013, 06:35 PM
could do the old window screen method for acclimatizing

Abbyreefer
09-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Just out of curiosity would I not ba able to have the timer act as the morning/high noon.night cyle for me. For example could I not have the attinics pop on in th emorning for a few hours and then have both the 10k led's and the attics on for several hours, have the 10k led's turn off and then have just the attinics again before all of them turning off ?

mrhasan
09-28-2013, 07:26 PM
I won't comment on the light fixture (I am anti-LED-er after all) but you should be careful with aquatraders. The first time I ordered from them, they were great. Then they shut down and started back the business but it kept on happening. I ordered a 2nd fixture which never showed up (got back the money by opening dispute with paypal). They didn't respond to call or email (not even to paypall). So I would suggest you to make sure they are completely back in business before you put the order (calling them would be the best idea).

mseepman
09-28-2013, 07:55 PM
If I was you, I would be talking to Nick about this light. http://www.reefsupplycanada.com/par-38-reef-light/

He also has some cool goosenecks coming in shortly (I ordered one for my fuge PAR light) and together, they will give you good light at a good price.

Just my 2 cents.

Abbyreefer
09-28-2013, 09:00 PM
I've also heard some negative feedback after checking their revies online. That Par38 does look nice. Would 1 cover a 20x18 cube tank ? Would I manually have to control the dimmer or could I get it timed to intensify throughout the day ?

mseepman
09-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Check with Reef Supply Canada...for dimming and coverage you may be far better of with one d120. Nick will give you the best advice he can.

nrosdal
09-28-2013, 11:12 PM
You could probably get away with a couple par bulbs or better would be a D120 for not much more. Then you will have 120 watts at your disposal and be able to dim it up and down as you get more demanding stuff as well as being able to find a spectrum that you like by adjusting the ratio you run the white/blue channels at.