PDA

View Full Version : RLSS DB10i skimmer

Werbo
09-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Anyone currently using this 10inch RLSS skimmer with the inverted DC waveline pump?
Thoughts? Would you recommend it?

At $800 is it getting close to the price of the Vertex Alpha's and BK's.

sphelps
09-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Not sure on the actual skimmer performance but customer service and warranty replacement from RLSS is pathetic to say the least. The pumps themselves have issues and I doubt they'll last very long without something going wrong. So yeah for $800 I'd look at something else.

Werbo
09-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Problems with their pumps? Can you elaborate?

sphelps
09-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Power supplies are junk, run hot and can fail, many have.

Controllers are junk, power connection can arc. Connection tends to burn up over time.

Pumps themselves are the best of the three parts, I've only one out of four fail so I'd say they are decent junk. Not sure what the issue was exactly but I've been waiting over a month for replacement and I really doubt I'll ever get anything.

reefwars
09-26-2013, 12:46 AM
I've only one out of four fail so I'd say they are decent junk.

lol

Werbo
09-26-2013, 03:22 AM
Sorry to hear of your problems.

I just know they are a cdn company and I liked that but not if their product is questionable.

sphelps
09-26-2013, 06:14 PM
While they are located in Canada there isn't much else Canadian about them, AFAIK everything is manufactured in China and rebranded.

Werbo
09-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks Sphelps. Good info to have.

Has anyone else had problems with RLSS equipment and service?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Yes, at $800 you are far better off with something from reputable company. That's really getting up there for Chinese knockoff skimmer.

Isn't the main reason/advantage of buying a Chinese-made product to save money? Save money but take a bit of a risk. Well, at $800, I don't see you saving enough to justify the risk. JMO.

I would look at alternative skimmers from company's with a longer history. Didn't know RLSS was a "Canadian" company rebranding Chinese products. Good to know.

RuGlu6
04-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Looks like they came up with new and improved 2nd gen pumps.

As for the DB (Direct Bubbler) Skimmers I like the idea of:
- increased bubble/water contact chamber
-Possibly less turbulence in the skimmer body due to a design of the upside down pump holder.

Possible drawback though is that DB (Direct Bubbler) It does sound like Chinese name translated to English LOL)) design having water intake from under the skimmer and can potentially suck in small debris that otherwise were sitting on the bottom and were not picked up by the flow, due to pump intakes being higher up. But now with water intake being extremely close to the bottom of the sump, unless your sump is spanking clean (mine is not) there is a chance that sand and even small live rock debris will enter the pump intake causing misbalance at minimum or impeller jam.
The unit then will have to be disassembled and cleaned (best case scenario)