PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn Cowfish

Duncans n' Dendros
09-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Just curious who keeps these fish. Has anyone had success with keeping them? I really like them and am thinking of setting up a larger tank and wouldnt mind having one in there. Any suggestions?

Duncans n' Dendros
09-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Nobody keeps these fish?

Slyguy00
09-29-2013, 02:09 AM
They are sweet looking but iv heard they are hard to keep and they can release a toxin into the water if stressed killing or making your other fish sick. Just what iv heard not sure if thats true

Skimmer Juice
09-29-2013, 05:46 PM
I owned a Longhorn Cow for about 6 years , the hardest part is finding a healthy fish to start with. Make sure you ahve a QT tank running. The fish can get ich very easily , witch is ussually the main cause of death.

Never add any fish to the system without proper quarantine. After you get a nice healthy fish to start with just quarantine it, the longer the better. After you get that part over it's just like any other fish , feed him algae . I fed mine with algae and spectrum pellets , every once in a while I would give him shrimp. Make sure water quality is good. Had mine in with corals mostly lps , never bothered them. They are pretty peacful , also my personal favorite fish . Like I said I had him for about 6 years , got him as a baby. He ended up getting some type of eye infection could not get it fixed. Cant say if he would kill the fish when dyeing as I took him out . Thats where a qt comes in nice you can seperate him and treat if he gets sick.

So I would say go for it if you have a qt and a proper sized aqaurium for him, mine was in a 130g and he was outgrowing it imo. They need lots of open space , also avoid feeding near the surface and they can swallow air bubbles . Happened once with my cow , they loose there boyancy and they will float upside down , I was holding right side up and it took a day but he got rid of the air and was fine. Will most likely getting another cow soon I got a 4ft cube tank that will be perfect for him.

Duncans n' Dendros
10-01-2013, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the input. I was reading post on RC that had said they werent as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I am still getting one regardless of how bad it is for a reef. Thanks again

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-26-2014, 09:42 AM
So did you ever get a cowfish?