PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kiwi's Nano Reef

Magickiwi
09-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Set up my daughter’s aquarium last weekend and I managed to get it all ready to go. Her equipment list is as follows:
- 24g JBJ Nano-Cube
- 150w MH hood with 4xActinic LED night lights
- Upgraded media basket from mediabaskets.com
- Tunze 9002 Protein Skimmer with upgraded cup from mediabaskets.com
- 1/14th HP Chiller
- Tunze Nano-Osmolator ATO unit
- JBJ 200w heater/controller
- Hydor power head used as wave maker
- Filter media: Purigen, Chemi-Pure, Phosguard, poly filter floss
- Eheim Universal 1250 main pump
- 25ish lbs of live rock
- 2” sand bed
Step 1: Drill outlet/inlet holes in back of aquarium to feed chiller
Step 2: Secure bulkhead slip fittings and cement them in place
Step 3: Run plumbing for outlet, through the pump, into the chiller, out to the return inlet
Step 4: Cut and fit egg crate to tank bottom
Step 5: Install internal equipment such as protein skimmer, media baskets, ATO sensor, etc.
Step 6: Put live sand in aquarium and dry rock base
Step 7: Put in live rock and pre-mixed water
Step 8: Turn on pump, tighten fittings as required
Step 9: Watch my little girl go crazy for her new aquarium

Current water parameters:
- Salinity: 53ms
- Temp: 79.5f
- pH: 8.12

After three or four days I put in a small frag of misc. green zoanthids that refused to stay attached to the LR in my tank. As of this morning they are open and glowing beautifully under the actinic night lights. I plan to wait a few weeks and then put in a BTA, a couple percs, a frogspawn or possibly even a frag from my huge torch coral. Then over the course of a year or two fill up the empty spots with some GSP, zoas and palys, etc. The best part is watching her with the tank and seeing how interested in sea life she is now.

Magickiwi
09-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Added a small clean up crew this weekend and a sebae anemone with the hope that the clowns will cozy up to it. Also added a few coral frags; some generic green and gold zoas (they glow bright gold under the night lights for some reason), small frag of Sunny-D zoas, and an orange and blue ricordia.