PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE NEEDED - Heate failure!

GoFish
09-25-2013, 03:19 AM
Actually user failure.... i accidentlay unplugged my heater last night.
Theres only one and its in the display tank.
For some reason i just looked at my floating glass thermometer for the first time in a month or 2 and it says 70!!
I looked at my reefkeeper and it said 69.6!!!

I just plugged my heater back in including a 2nd heater (also in the display). How many heaters should i use? i have 2 more if need be, I'm thinking of throwing a 3rd one in the sump, or take the second out of the display and put it in the sump instead.

How slow or fast should i go? The tank normally runs at 78.5 and has been unplugged for 22 hours.

Livestock info coming next...

GoFish
09-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Tanks is 46 gallon with 20 gallon sump.
Total water volume is 48 gallons

Fish: 2 clowns, 3 cardinals, 1 blenny, 1 damsel, and a rabbitfish

Corals: All types, sps, lps, shroom polyps zoa gorgonian acan

Inverts: Cleaner shrimp, RBTA

CUC: Snails, hermits

Everything looks alive and normal for the most part except for the RBTA which is doing its shriveled thing (which happens all the time anyway) and the toadstool leathers have their polyps retracted (which is also not out of the ordinary)

I don't want to cook them, but i don't want anything to freeze to death

Help much appreciated... I'll start searching at he same time
Cheers

mark
09-25-2013, 03:29 AM
You didn't say size of tank or wattages of heater but you don't want to shock the tank with a sudden increase. As for the drop in temp, I wouldn't worry to much.

GoFish
09-25-2013, 03:41 AM
the everyday heater is a 125watt and the 2nd in there now is 150watt
Both are still in the display

Temp is now 70.5 which is 0.9 degrees higher in 1/2 hr

Craigdillman
09-25-2013, 04:03 AM
Yea drop in temp is way better than a spike in temp, just go slow and raise it back to what it was, (and maybe label your cords :) for next time

nerdz
09-25-2013, 04:14 AM
I say go slowish too.

I came home from vacation a few weeks back to a display of 64... It was like this for days.

Livestock was okay.

GoFish
09-25-2013, 04:18 AM
Already labelled :). I guess I'm lucky it wasn't the other way then...
Water change last night, forgot to plug it back in, true story. My panic is subsiding, temperature is increasing at 1.7 degrees/hr. moved second heater into return pump section of sump. Everything is still alive, RBTA is perking back up and polyps extending on leathers

GoFish
09-25-2013, 04:20 AM
Hearing from a personal experience makes me feel much better. Thanks!

I say go slowish too.

I came home from vacation a few weeks back to a display of 64... It was like this for days.

Livestock was okay.