PDA

View Full Version : uv filter

steve.bridges
06-28-2004, 02:44 PM
:redface:
i purchased a laguna powerclear 1000 uv filter after talking with the guy in the lfs, he said it may help control algae. does anybody know anything, have any experiences?

i,m worried it may kill off the phytoplankton and other coral feeds, nutrients etc

i have a 45g reef with leathers, brains, xenias, gspolyps, tons of critters and a few fish.
magnum canister filter 350
2 ph
50lbs live rock
2inch sandbed

cheers

Aquattro
06-28-2004, 04:01 PM
It may help if you have green water, but my experience with them fighting algae growing on the rocks, etc, is poor. You would be better spending your money on salt for some extra water changes. Basically, in the fight against algae, you need to determine why the algae is there. It isn't from NOT having a UV sterilizer!!

steve.bridges
06-28-2004, 04:22 PM
thats wot i figured but i thought id ask before i took it back to the store

steve.bridges
06-28-2004, 04:24 PM
ps i dont have a problem with algae on the rock its the sandbed (red hair i think) and the backwall ( green hair)

Aquattro
06-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Your tank is still rather new, correct? I would just be patient, do some extra water changes with RO water, feed less (if you feed on the heavy side) and let the algae burn itself out. It's normal part of many tanks in the first few months after startup.

steve.bridges
06-28-2004, 05:47 PM
yes although the live sand and rock were ptu in the tank and left for 2 months before anything else was added. Then fish then corals(wrong way round i no) then last week i added another 15lbs of cured lr. ( i diddnt scrub it as, well i didnt realise it was good p[ractise

Aquattro
06-28-2004, 05:58 PM
You're still in the new part of the tank, regardless how slow you were in adding livestock. Algae is very common at this stage.
BTW, I wouldn't scrub my liverock with anything other than a turkey baster. Takes too much of the "live" off the rock, IMO.

steve.bridges
06-28-2004, 06:19 PM
that was lucky then. im sitting here watching algae cover the sand. when i do water changes is it better to vacuum the sand taking the water or just take the water w/o disturbing the sb.

also im running a magnum 350 canister filter with a paper filter, i also have a carbon filter for it, would it be better to run just the carbon or swap between the two.

sorry to keep asking questions man but ive read a couple of books and they dont get enough detail. Experience is the best recipe.

Aquattro
06-28-2004, 06:54 PM
I would not disturb the sand. The algae will go away on it's own once you've removed it's source. I would also sell the cannister filter and buy more rock, or beer or something. Unless you clean whatever's in the cannister, it creates nitrates quickly, which can contribute to algae.

More frequent (partial) water changes with good water, less input of nutrients, and some patience will solve the problem. Maybe not as quickly as you'd like, but it is the best (and right) way of solving algae problems. :smile:

steve.bridges
06-28-2004, 07:36 PM
ok so if i got rid of the filter what would you suggest i use. There is no more room in the tank for lr, plenty of room in the fridge for beer though.

i thought the filter was good!

Aquattro
06-28-2004, 07:45 PM
I would use only a protein skimmer and live rock as filtration. Skimmers are great at removing algae food.

steve.bridges
06-28-2004, 07:48 PM
ok cheers brad i shall look into getting one :cool: