PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy frag tiles?

Myka
09-22-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm looking for 3x3" square frag tiles. Anyone have a source?

spit.fire
09-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Just buy travertine tile from any tile store, just make sure it's the "natural" finish

Works perfect for frags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Myka
09-22-2013, 11:35 PM
That's what I will use if I can't find any ceramic tiles.

reefermadness
09-23-2013, 12:37 AM
I used a ton of the unfilled and finished "natural" tavertine tile. Look for the stuff that is the whitest as the darker the more impurity in it. Its really just unfinished marble which is calcium carbonate.

reefwars
09-23-2013, 12:41 AM
I also like the travertine tiles plus they come in a variety of sizes :)

reefwars
09-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Average cost works to be 7-10 cents a plug for 144 - 1"x1" tiles

I use the larger 4"x 8"tiles for mother colonies to grow out on.

GoFish
09-27-2013, 08:31 PM
I just went to a large tile store in vancouver that carries Travertine, i don't believe you can buy 3"x3" tiles. The closest they had is 12"x12" mosaic with 2"x2"s (36 tiles total) or mosaics with 2"x4"s. They have mesh glued on the back which would have to be scrubbed off, its a little tricky to remove all of the glue because the substrate is porous, but the glue is water soluble.
Also note, the tiles are quite heavy so IF they're going on a magnetic frag rack the number of frags would be limited

HaZRaTTy
09-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Anyone have any examples all I can find is the mosaic mats as well of the 2x2'' 36 tile mat

Proteus
09-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Just toss them in back of the toilet. The glue will wash away

spit.fire
09-27-2013, 10:17 PM
I just went to a large tile store in vancouver that carries Travertine, i don't believe you can buy 3"x3" tiles. The closest they had is 12"x12" mosaic with 2"x2"s (36 tiles total) or mosaics with 2"x4"s. They have mesh glued on the back which would have to be scrubbed off, its a little tricky to remove all of the glue because the substrate is porous, but the glue is water soluble.
Also note, the tiles are quite heavy so IF they're going on a magnetic frag rack the number of frags would be limited
I've seen 12x12 mosaics that have a mix of 1x1, 2x2, and 3x3

reefermadness
09-27-2013, 11:54 PM
You can get 4x4" and 3"x6" at home depot. If you want 3"x3" you can cut one in half.

reefwars
09-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Soak in saltwater or boil it

Travertine comes in all sizes :)

Myka
09-28-2013, 02:08 AM
I decided to experiment making my own. It should be an adventure.

I'm not real keen on travertine since it is a natural stone product, the possibility of metals in it is there. That's a risk I'm just not willing to take no matter how small it may be and no matter how many people "haven't had a problem".

brizzo
09-28-2013, 03:55 AM
It's a sedimentary rock, and almost nothing but calcium carbonate. But I suppose your concern is a valid point, so why risk it.

I bought half a box of 2x2 "unfiinish, unfilled, tumbled" travertine tiles in the past from Rona, and use a 2" diamond hole saw(cuts like butter!) to make round disks.

http://learn.builddirect.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/tumbled-travertine-tile.jpg

reefermadness
09-28-2013, 12:38 PM
I decided to experiment making my own. It should be an adventure.

I'm not real keen on travertine since it is a natural stone product, the possibility of metals in it is there. That's a risk I'm just not willing to take no matter how small it may be and no matter how many people "haven't had a problem".ibve been using the stuff from homedepot for years and have quite a bitin my system with no adverse affects.

Proteus
09-28-2013, 12:44 PM
ibve been using the stuff from homedepot for years and have quite a bitin my system with no adverse affects.

There a few of us that use these tiles as our tank bottom

Myka
09-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Yes, I'm aware it is widely used. :)

I know frags grow faster on ceramic versus concrete/sand plugs. I wonder if there is a difference comparing ceramic versus travertine? Anyone try them side by side?

Reef Pilot
09-28-2013, 02:07 PM
I know frags grow faster on ceramic versus concrete/sand plugs.
Is this true?? And why would this be?

Myka
09-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Is this true?? And why would this be?

No, I'm just blowing fluff. ;) It seems to be the consensus when discussing with friends. Why? Who knows. Maybe it's the leeching from uncured cement plugs? I don't know. I know my fastest growing frags are the ones I mount directly onto the live rock. :D

I'm going to be doing a side by side experiment. I'm interested in the results.

Reef Pilot
09-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I can see it, if the plugs aren't cured... I do know that some SPS are more sensitive to glue, and can be mad for a while. So have to be careful of that.

And sorry for the thread creep. But I also do wonder why people prefer flat tiles vs plugs? I would be concerned they would fly off my eggcrate with the current. I can see maybe an advantage if you mount them on the bottom of your tank, but not on rock higher up.

Proteus
09-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I can see it, if the plugs aren't cured... I do know that some SPS are more sensitive to glue, and can be mad for a while. So have to be careful of that.

And sorry for the thread creep. But I also do wonder why people prefer flat tiles vs plugs? I would be concerned they would fly off my eggcrate with the current. I can see maybe an advantage if you mount them on the bottom of your tank, but not on rock higher up.

Last I saw of Denny frag tank was all tiles so no eggcrate. Gives lots of room for encrusting frags to spread