PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Refugium

Jaws
09-22-2013, 03:03 AM
So I've got a 100G tank (46L X 24W X 22H) I've plumbed for my Refugium that's divided in the middle. I was thinking of having chaeto in the left section lit by a Par 38 LED fuge bulb and about a 16" deep sand bed on the right with mangroves and cleaner shrimp lit with the same bulb. Just wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions or criticism on this? Thanks for your help.

MarkoD
09-22-2013, 05:16 AM
I run a 50 gallon fuge with just cheato.

I have no scientific proof but I think it helps me maintain stable parameters.

I light it 24/7

If anything it's added water volume and that doesn't hurt

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-22-2013, 05:25 AM
I always divide my sump up to have a refugium area for rubble, excess live rock and chaeto. I also used to have a plastic container with about 6-7" of sand for a removable deep sand bed. That way I can remove all the sand if I want without siphoning.

neoh
09-22-2013, 06:47 AM
I always divide my sump up to have a refugium area for rubble, excess live rock and chaeto. I also used to have a plastic container with about 6-7" of sand for a removable deep sand bed. That way I can remove all the sand if I want without siphoning.

Ah, clever..

I have a fuge with a chaeto bottom, then it drops down into more chaeto - I use it sort of like a filter. Tank water drops from the overflow down through the chaeto, then goes to the second chamber with live rock and the skimmer. I also have dragons breath macro algae in the other side, then its separated with a DSB and mangroves. Lots of little pods and critters in there, I like it. Some people swear by them, others despise them. I like the small little eco system it provides. I run a par33 fuge LED over it - it grows pretty well anything - very fast!

hfp75
10-31-2013, 04:31 PM
I like the Chaeto Filter Idea.....

Only thing is yes in a Refugium we can grow things safely with out predation but the pods and other critters don't circulate into the tank. So, I have been thinking, how do you get an area where pods can thrive but yet escape into the main tank?

Short of grabbing a big ball of chaeto and leaving it in the main tank?

I was thinking, some kinda water tower that is attached, it would have chaeto in it and like a grate at the top and bottem???? (similar to the teeth at the overflow?)

This would stop most stuff from entering but yet pods could escape and yet be safe inside???

You would have to make the back glass see through so you could provide light. It would provide a small refuge for the pods, (and still grow some chaeto) but yet let pods into the tank for consumption.....

Anyone have anything running where the pods can actually enter into the main tank without being pumped back in?

I have read over and over that pods in the sump dont make it into the main tank....