PDA

View Full Version : LightingQuestion

myinfo
09-02-2002, 03:53 PM
Hi:

I am new to this hobby. This may be a dumb question, under what scenerio you need a 400w MH. I currently have 1 90G with 4X48" VHO. I am thinking of upgrading it to MH. Should I use 2x250 or 2x400?
Currently I have no SPS. I plan to keep some SPS and claims after the upgrade.

I currently have 150 PD live rock, CC sand bed, the tank is 48 * 24 * 18.

Thanks

Aquattro
09-02-2002, 05:26 PM
Myinfo, you could get away fine with the 250w setup. There is enough rock that you could put the most light demanding corals/clams up high close to the rock. You also want to consider what color bulbs to use. They range from 5500k to 20,000k. They all have different looks (and prices) to them. There is no "right" bulb to use for color, it all comes down to personal preference. Do searches on lighting here and on reefcentral.com and/or reefs.org.

Canadian
09-02-2002, 06:57 PM
Just keep in mind that if your 90 has a glass center brace that placing a single MH in the center of the tank is going to result in diminished intensity unless you're willing to clean the center brace regularly. Also, the center brace often results in a shadow being cast into the tank.

Aquattro
09-02-2002, 07:26 PM
Andrew, he did mention using two bulbs. Even then, it still helps to clean the brace regularly.

Doug
09-02-2002, 08:41 PM
First, there is really nothing wrong with your vho lighting.

I used 400,s because of the high colour temp. When increasing the colour of the bulb, the wattage needs to be increased to compensate for par.

A nice option for your tank would be a pair of 250 watt Iwasaki,s. Plus a pair of vho actinics. The 65K Iwasaki in the 250 watt version is, IMO, one of the best halides. Good price, good longevity,{ I have run them for over 2 years }, and a nicer colour than the 400 watt version.

The tank would also have a nice colour with the pair of actinics. Under these lights, you could keep clams and the most light demanding sps.

Canadian
09-02-2002, 09:02 PM
My bad. I saw your post that said "250W setup" and the first thing that came to my mind was a single lamp setup.

Aquattro
09-02-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Canadian:
My bad. I saw your post that said "250W setup" and the first thing that came to my mind was a single lamp setup.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You might have to edit your sig block now....the "mind" part is in question! ;)

Canadian
09-02-2002, 11:12 PM
I let the body go over the summer (no weight training due to a sore back), so based on the theory, the mind also went :D I'll shut up now - back to my hole!

But it's nice to see someone who knows some Latin! ;)

myinfo
09-03-2002, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the help!

I am currently using 2 actinic and 2 SuperSun(?).

Original I want to setup 2* 250 MH, but than some told me the bigger the better. That is where 2 X 400 radium come up with.

I am new to this hobby and this is one expensive hobby and confused one. Some people said more light will bleach the SPS but than some said SPS need strong light to grow.

The other even more confused one is DSB,because Sugar Size Aragonite is quite expensive if I want to setup 4" sand bed( ~ 250pd). I know some of my friends are using silcate sand( from Home Depot) but than other said no.

I found it is quite hard for a newbie to learn without spending quite a bit of money.

Sorry guys,just some random thoughs.

Myinfo

Aquattro
09-03-2002, 01:46 AM
You won't go wrong with 2 Iwasaki 250w 65k bulbs. Probably best bang for the buck. You can also use silica sand, but you can get a pretty good price on Sugar Sand from Jayson at www.saltwaterconection.com. (http://www.saltwaterconection.com.) I think he has some "hidden" in the Vancouver area.
You're doing the right thing by asking questions *first*, then spending money. Yes, it can be a bit pricey, as far as hobbies go, but if you're smart, build some of your own stuff and look for deals on used equipment, you can set something up without the big bucks!

StirCrazy
09-03-2002, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Canadian:
But it's nice to see someone who knows some Latin! ;) <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Latin!!!!!!! damn I thought that "Mens sana incorpore sano" was "corporate mens room" in spanish.. hmmm to many beers in Mexico I guess.. ;)

Steve