PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted

Dearth
09-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Being as my tank is full of softies which I really like for the most part but I am thinking of dipping my feet into SPS hard corals but not sure what to get I do have a monti which has proven to be virtually bulletproof but looking for a branching coral that isn't overly expensive so if it does die from me screwing up I won't cry too hard.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

HaZRaTTy
09-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Birdsnest. I'm sure you could even find a free "tester" frag from a local reefer.

thmh
09-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Monti and bird nest are very hardy, I would definitely try those first if your just starting out with sps. Digi has awesome colouration and had a lengthy growth pattern Setosa is another hardy monti that does not need to much light/flow. For bird nest I definitely recommend bird of paradise just because it has multiple colours and it sooo damn fluffy! Depending on your lighting and water chemistry millies are also hardy, but they tend to need more light and flow. Enter my contest and you could win 5 awesome fuzzy wuzzy acro pack:-)

~Tony

Aquattro
09-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Keep in mind that a tankful of softies is going to seriously p1ss off SPS with alleopathy (releasing chemicals to p1ss off SPS corals :))
Run lots of carbon.

J_T
09-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Keep in mind that a tankful of softies is going to seriously p1ss off SPS with alleopathy (releasing chemicals to p1ss off SPS corals :))
Run lots of carbon.

Don't just drop a lot of carbon on the system. You will shock the tank. You need to add a small amount, and add more and more as time goes on.

Madreefer
09-22-2013, 09:25 PM
I have frags:
Green pocilopora
Green/blue tips monti
Red monti
Robins egg acro
Multi colored birdsnest
Green slimer
If your interested

Dearth
09-23-2013, 02:33 PM
I think I am going to wait for awhile before stepping into the world of hard corals as my tank is set up for softies and not "very tank friendly" to hard corals plus I don't run calcium or other reactors I think I will wait till I am ready to switch up my tank to start looking at other types of coral.

Thank you for the info though