PDA

View Full Version : How to install internal overflow on established reef tank

windcoast reefs
09-20-2013, 02:02 AM
Hey everyone

So im kinda sick of looking at my 2 corner drain pipes on the back wall of my established reef tank. Is there anyway to add small corner overflow boxes to the drain pipes without draining the tank completely?

Ive seen a few prefab acrylic overflow boxes in my LFS, so I was thinking of using those, just not sure how to secure them.

Any suggestions would be great!

gregzz4
09-20-2013, 02:43 AM
Are you just wanting to 'hide' the plumbing ?
If so, you can use Orca underwater glue (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/searchpage.php?product_name=orca&all_keywords=product_name&manufacturer=)
Brace the boxes against the glass with some rocks or such and put the glue on the inside
Once it's cured the stuff is very hard to remove, but I don't guarantee it'll hold acrylic to glass longterm, so you may need another bead on the outside

If you're wanting to make functional corner boxes that won't leak and drain your whole tank, I'll back slowly away from this thread :smile:

windcoast reefs
09-20-2013, 03:17 AM
Are you just wanting to 'hide' the plumbing ?
If so, you can use Orca underwater glue (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/searchpage.php?product_name=orca&all_keywords=product_name&manufacturer=)
Brace the boxes against the glass with some rocks or such and put the glue on the inside
Once it's cured the stuff is very hard to remove, but I don't guarantee it'll hold acrylic to glass longterm, so you may need another bead on the outside

If you're wanting to make functional corner boxes that won't leak and drain your whole tank, I'll back slowly away from this thread :smile:

Yeah thats exactly what im trying to do, hide the plumbing!

Lol, No I will not be trying to make a fully functional corner box, just something pretty!

sphelps
09-20-2013, 03:30 AM
You could buy or make black acrylic overflow boxes then use the bulkhead to hold them in place, no silicone or glue required. You'll need to drill a hole in the overflow box in the right spot for the bulkhead then get an extra gasket. Install: bulkhead - gasket - overflow box - gasket - glass - nut. Or use reverse the bulkhead with flange side on the outside and use only one gasket: Nut - overflow box - glass - gasket - bulkhead. Make sense?

windcoast reefs
09-20-2013, 03:36 AM
You could buy or make black acrylic overflow boxes then use the bulkhead to hold them in place, no silicone or glue required. You'll need to drill a hole in the overflow box in the right spot for the bulkhead then get an extra gasket. Install: bulkhead - gasket - overflow box - gasket - glass - nut. Or use reverse the bulkhead with flange side on the outside and use only one gasket: Nut - overflow box - glass - gasket - bulkhead. Make sense?

Yup that makes sense. I would just have to drain the tank below the bulk head and reinstall it with a gasket between the glass and the box.

That seems like it would be the most secure method.

gregzz4
09-20-2013, 03:57 AM

Lol, No I will not be trying to make a fully functional corner box, just something pretty!
Good luck with it and don't forget the pics for us :lol:

don.ald
09-20-2013, 01:11 PM

I would secure some encrusting monties on the pipes and have their growth cover them over

windcoast reefs
09-20-2013, 02:55 PM
I would secure some encrusting monties on the pipes and have their growth cover them over

I thought of that, but I figured if I ever need to change anything it might make it difficult.

don.ald
09-20-2013, 02:59 PM
I thought of that, but I figured if I ever need to change anything it might make it difficult.

Hmmm, it's not like you to change things Jake:wink: