PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Jitters

mr_alberta
06-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Anyone ever have "cold feet" when upgrading their tanks? I have that right now. I would like to upgrade over the next couple of month and am slowly working on getting everything I need together. However, I look at my tank now and say to myself, "oh thats filling in nicely there" or "ooh, look at that growth!" and I question myself as to why I would want to disturb a seemingly healthy system for another one.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to think about this, so my question is, how did you convince yourself to do it in the end?

DOO-E
06-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Why upgrade. Just buy a bigger tank or keep the tank you have. Nobody says you need a bigger tank. sure they are nice to have but you can make alot of money off a system that is stable and the corals are growing nicly.

AJ_77
06-27-2004, 10:29 PM
I convinced myself by waiting for the right tank - at the same time the corals, anemone and fish are growing out of the smaller tank, so timing is everything. Sure things are "full" etc, but there's not much room to move in there... and I'm not even into a "big tank" yet...

What do they call this in real estate? A mover-upper??

:biggrin:

mr_alberta
06-27-2004, 10:50 PM
That's exactly why I am upgrading/want to upgrade. Things are growing now and my anenome/corals aren't exactly going to get smaller or anything. A bigger tank will really let things "spread out" and grow. I want those volleyball sized hammer and frogspawn corals.

EmilyB
06-28-2004, 12:18 AM
I want those volleyball sized hammer and frogspawn corals.

I frag anything over 2".... :rolleyes: :lol:

Bob I
06-28-2004, 02:57 AM
I am in the same boat. I would like to combine my 50, and 33G cube into one four foot by 18"X 18" tank. I have lessened the pressure though by giving away my biggest soft corals. Now that I have two MH pendants, and a new Osmolator Topoff (that I have not as yet figured out how to assemble), I have the needed equipment. The problem now is a Six Line wrasse who beats up on my Mandarin, and a Bicolour Blenny that insists on almost killing one of my two Purple Firefish. Thus I need to keep two tanks running for awhile to keep these guys separated. :eek:

hockey nut
06-28-2004, 08:07 AM
YUP, I do know how you feel. I have to move my tank down to the basement. Also I've been collecting alot of upgrades lately as well and I'm holding on to them until I'm ready to move my tank. Funny thing is, now I want a bigger tank. :rolleyes:

What to do? I know how I want it to look when it's all said and done, but it's the getting there thats taking so long. Oh well.......... Cheers all :0)

Beverly
06-28-2004, 01:02 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one to think about this, so my question is, how did you convince yourself to do it in the end?

Harvey,

It helps to have a credit card that has a HUGE maximum and a line of credit to pay off the credit card :eek: :mrgreen:

How did I convince myself to upgrade all three of our tanks? Just needed the extra room in each tank for the growing corals and fish....

Doug
06-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Anyone ever have "cold feet" when upgrading their tanks? I have that right now. I would like to upgrade over the next couple of month and am slowly working on getting everything I need together. However, I look at my tank now and say to myself, "oh thats filling in nicely there" or "ooh, look at that growth!" and I question myself as to why I would want to disturb a seemingly healthy system for another one.

Just look at it as an adventure. :lol:

Upgrades are not always the best. My 170 cube was a very nice tank. But noooooooo, I needed a 6ft. 225g. Just never seemed to work out well. Sold it, bought the 70 cube. That stunk, so sold it and everything is in someones else,s tank and my 55 & 40g tubs. :lol:

So be careful.

mr_alberta
06-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Hi Doug, why didnt' you like your 70G cube? I remember seeing pictures of it. It looked quite nice.

Doug
06-28-2004, 08:52 PM
The 70 cube itself was very nice. Just to small for me. I just could not get overly excited about it. I thought a downsize would work but still missed the larger type tanks, but not to large. {I think thats the secret. :biggrin: }

I was going to get a 120 or make it 30in.w and 150g. I wish to run no more than a pair of halides and so on. Instead, as my stand from the 225 was 27in.w and I decided a pair of 400,s could span 5ft. I ordered a 5ft. L by 27W by 24H 170g. Figure thats just about right. :lol:

If I move, its coming along. :smile:

So as you can see, I ended back at a 170, several yrs. later. Just a bit different dimensions. Thats why I say, upgrading is not always the correct path. :smile: