PDA

View Full Version : High Flow Corals

Magickiwi
09-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Hi, I was hoping I could crowd-source some ideas for corals to fill up the side of my aquarium that my wave maker is on. I have an MP40 cranked up to about 45% and need some corals to fill the blank spots on that side of my rock.

Lighting is no issue, I'm using 2x250W MH and 2x54W T5 and the distance from my fixture will be 36-18inches from the bottom of my tank to my light fixture. I have all types of positions on my rock available.

I'd be looking for something that can tolerate high flows, almost directly in line with the head. Also something with some blue, orange, purple, green etc. Not big on the tan colored coral.

Any ideas from you folks would be greatly appreciated!

thmh
09-18-2013, 03:34 PM
I recommend getting millies, they are the only one in my experience that can take direct flow and not peel. For orange and Green colouration nothing beats Mr mvp DV sunset millie!(need high light) and Palmers has one of the best blue colouration out there as well (love light). Hint hint these frags will be a part of my prize for next contest that is coming soon!

~Tony

Magickiwi
09-18-2013, 03:46 PM
I recommend getting millies, they are the only one in my experience that can take direct flow and not peel. For orange and Green colouration nothing beats Mr mvp DV sunset millie!(need high light) and Palmers has one of the best blue colouration out there as well (love light). Hint hint these frags will be a part of my prize for next contest that is coming soon!

~Tony

Thanks for the suggestions. They sound like they could fit the bill. I'm a little reluctant to try an SPS right now because I'm getting a lot of green algae collecting on my LR and I'd like to get that sorted out first.

What about Cloves? They'd be pretty good for that area too no?

I've got as much chance of winning one of your contests as I do of winning the lottery :) Too many awesome tanks out there!

thmh
09-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Our contest does not descriminate your tank ! The contest is for anyone and everyone! So do not be discouraged! Iam not an expert on clove polyps, maybe kienner can jump in on this one!

~Tony

Magickiwi
09-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Our contest does not descriminate your tank ! The contest is for anyone and everyone! So do not be discouraged! Iam not an expert on clove polyps, maybe kienner can jump in on this one!

~Tony

I don't mean to imply your contests discriminate in any way, sorry if you took it that way. I meant the competition in your contests is pretty fierce and my chances are slim in that sense. :)

The SPS would probably do just fine for me, I'm just the type to error on the side of caution vs. potentially destroying a beautiful organism. I'll check out what you have for sale!

Kien, any advice on the cloves? I do have a fair amount of real estate to cover.

kien
09-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Maybe take a picture of the area you're talking about and post it? In my super high flow areas I have Green Star Polyps and birdsnests. But it sounds like you're taking SPS out of the equation ? Blue cloves would be a good idea too, but they do tend to get a bit weedy (they grow fast and can spread everywhere). This is OK for some people but the work of the devil for others. You've seen my tank :-) Anyway, I have all of the above if you want some.

kien
09-18-2013, 04:22 PM
..I meant the competition in your contests is pretty fierce and my chances are slim in that sense. :)

Their last contest involved taking a picture of someone in front of your tank to get your name put into a raffle that was drawn randomly out of a ballcap. :biggrin:

Magickiwi
09-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Maybe take a picture of the area you're talking about and post it? In my super high flow areas I have Green Star Polyps and birdsnests. But it sounds like you're taking SPS out of the equation ? Blue cloves would be a good idea too, but they do tend to get a bit weedy (they grow fast and can spread everywhere). This is OK for some people but the work of the devil for others. You've seen my tank :-) Anyway, I have all of the above if you want some.

I am considering SPS as well as softies like cloves. I don't mind it getting "weedy" because like I said I have a lot of area to cover and presumably I can trim them back when I want to put something else in?

PM me with prices and I'll arrange a time to visit again since you're just down the hill :)

Magickiwi
09-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Their last contest involved taking a picture of someone in front of your tank to get your name put into a raffle that was drawn randomly out of a ballcap. :biggrin:

I posted a picture in their "squishy" contest and for the first week I thought yeah my picture is competitive and then people like YOU started posting pictures and I realized it was game over lmao...

kien
09-18-2013, 04:37 PM
I posted a picture in their "squishy" contest and for the first week I thought yeah my picture is competitive and then people like YOU started posting pictures and I realized it was game over lmao...

I don't believe that MadJelly is running a "squishy" contest. Are you referring to the Photo of the Month contest? That's sponsored by Kraken's Reef this month :biggrin: But Kraken's Reef is also running a "Count the Clowns" contest which has nothing to do with how anyone's tank looks or how well they can photograph :biggrin: Lots of opportunities to participate !

At any rate, I'll drop you a PM about the weedy corals !