PDA

View Full Version : Freaking Algea

DOO-E
06-27-2004, 08:21 PM
I have a red slime and a red hair algea explosion in my tank how in the heck do i get rid of this stuff? Other than chemicals this i want to be my last resort. What kind of snails and other inverts eat this stuff. Also i dont plan of adding fish but what fish eat it.

mr_alberta
06-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Try increasing the flow first. I find that this works for me when I have cyano (aka red slime). You are probably getting an explosion of algae because your tank is going through a mini cycle from when you cleaned the rock off.

DOO-E
06-27-2004, 08:53 PM
okay goignt o increase the flow. I noticed that it used to be on one of the tube of my dusters but it has now left and coraline is taking its place. I have small patches of coraline all over the tank this has to be a good sign.

johnny rock
06-28-2004, 08:48 PM
are you using tap water? like mentioned this is a phase your tank will go thru because of the changes and hopefuly will burn itself out if water chemistry is kept up to par. not to many critters eat cyno or hair.

DOO-E
06-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Ya using tap water add stuff to the water like iodine trace elements and calcium adding some macroalgea when the LFS get going.

johnny rock
06-29-2004, 12:27 AM
unfortunatly a side effect of tap water in most cases is constant fighting of hair algea and sometime cyno. tap water can contain phos,amongst many other nasty things especially during spring and fall runoff.those conditioners are suspect as well. I've not had good luck in the beginning with water conditioners and keeping critters alive all that long and fough many hair algea battles. The city also spikes[super consentrations] the water with chloramine and/or chlorine in the spring not to mention when they do pipe work they stir up rust/iron and even lead and crap.
When I added my RO/DI I noticed immediate improvments in health of corals and fish.

DOO-E
06-29-2004, 04:12 AM
O well then maybe if i could afford water filter like that i would get on. Them thing are expensive. :eek: What is option 2

Aquattro
06-29-2004, 04:15 AM
What is option 2

buy RO water from the grocery store.

DOO-E
06-29-2004, 04:18 AM
okay man my mom thinks it is bad enough i am buying "rock" from the pet store when i could be getting it off the road and now u want me to buy RO water holy man i think i will rough this one out and save my cash.

Aquattro
06-29-2004, 06:28 AM
okay man my mom thinks it is bad enough i am buying "rock" from the pet store when i could be getting it off the road and now u want me to buy RO water holy man i think i will rough this one out and save my cash.

Well, best of luck to you. Why don't you just stop asking anything here at all? You just refuse to listen ever. :rolleyes:

Azilla
06-29-2004, 07:47 AM
Im usin RO Water and my tank is the same way. I had it before in my other tank drove me insane i would clean the sand puff the rocks and do water changes the one day it went away :) But now in my new 75gal im battling alge plus flatworms :frown:

DOO-E
06-29-2004, 03:54 PM
I said i was going to ruff this one save my cash so in other words i am going to save for a RO filter. How do you get flat worms exaclty i have heard of people getting them but i have never seen them at all.

johnny rock
06-29-2004, 05:53 PM
heres some tips, keep using RO, don't overfeed,set up a refugium if you can,add more flow if its not at least 10x tank size,open up rock work[some people tend to have a wall of rock which leads to dead spots] and drip KALK, slowly it will burn itself out. make sure your bioload [to many fish] does not exceed you filtration. Just ask DOO-EE about the loss of fish life and algea blooms when good advice is not taken. :cry:

DOO-E
06-29-2004, 08:01 PM
I know off systems now that are using tank water the only algea they have is coraline and grape algea. I know it works.

mr_alberta
06-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Are the people using tap water in their tanks in your area? Tap water is different in many areas. Some contain more X and less of Y and other places are just the opposite (and then there's everything in between).

johnny rock
06-29-2004, 08:32 PM
yes I too know of many systems that use tap water, and most of them at one point or another get ran over with some type of algea, wouldn't it worry you when I just told ya all the things that happen to tap water? Get a print out if you can of your city water, You'll know what I mean then. over time that stuff builds up! I'm talking years not weeks and then your tank crashes all of a sudden. If you have to add chemicals to your water to make it right then thats already one step in a bad direction. If you want to do it right then save and buy one. its like $150 compared to the rest of the tank setup thats cheap!

DOO-E
06-30-2004, 01:09 AM
ya i am thinking i will do that but not until i have everything i need for my 90 gallon.

Quinn
06-30-2004, 02:46 AM
It has been pointed out to me on several occasions that no matter what we say, Doo-E does not listen. Can we all please stop replying to his posts and hope he goes away?

hawk
06-30-2004, 03:32 AM
Hmm, a teenager that doesn't listen,or follow advice,...shocking.

MitchM
06-30-2004, 08:18 PM
.. Can we all please stop replying to his posts and hope he goes away?

The only problem with that is that someone eventually will reply, if only to start an argument for entertainment, then a flame fest ensues....
...then the board gets a bad name.

Mitch

Bob I
07-01-2004, 03:00 PM
.. Can we all please stop replying to his posts and hope he goes away?

The only problem with that is that someone eventually will reply, if only to start an argument for entertainment, then a flame fest ensues....
...then the board gets a bad name.

Mitch

Would it not be possible for a moderator to simply ban this kid so the board can return to normal. :question: It appears now that he won't leave on his own, no matter how often he is asked nicely. :sad:

MitchM
07-01-2004, 03:26 PM
Has he indeed been asked nicely through PM's, or has it been only through the frustrations of people getting in arguments with him?

:agrue:

If it is only because of people arguing, then you and I wouldn't be here either, Bob....... :mrgreen:

Mitch

hawk
07-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Seems pretty simple to me, if his post anger you,don't read them. If you look at the number of views his posts get (by far, more than most) he does generate interest. Even if he doesn't agree with good advice, by the number of "views" I'm sure many others benefit from it.

Quinn
07-01-2004, 05:31 PM
I believe that much of what he posts is posted to get a rise out of us. His advice is quoted from online sources, never validated, and could be given by others far more eloquently, and I think his reputation here compromises the value of any advice he does give, possibly leading to more harm than good. His indecisiveness and arguing are a waste of our time and Titus' bandwidth. Some of our members are a bit sensitive to the lack of regard for animal life he shows, and I think it is unfair to allow him to continue to goad us into anger. I don't feel that his presence here is a benefit to the Canreef community. I move that he is removed until he has reached a point where he can constructively contribute to this board without raising such ire in such a large proportion of our members.

Doug
07-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Well this thread is productive. I think its better closed. We can understand the frustration from some of the posts, however it cant become personal.

Someone cant be banned just for not following advice, again no matter how frustrating it can be. We have certain lines to follow, as per the user agreement and once that line is crossed warning are given before we consider the banning of someone.

Thanks