PDA

View Full Version : Owner of Tropicorium facing charges

Delphinus
09-17-2013, 04:30 PM
http://www.tropicorium.com/ was at one time an industry giant, or at least a large player in the LFS/wholesaler/fragger in the U.S. market.

Now, the owner and an employee are facing charges of illegally collecting specimens and could face 10 years in prison if found guilty:

http://www.keysnet.com/2013/09/12/490091/michigan-men-charged-with-federal.html

Yikes. I wish them good luck in their legal battles ahead of them.

Whether these guys are guilty or innocent, this should serve as a reminder to the industry that times are different now, and it is imperative to be on the right side of the issues when it comes to conservation and legal definitions.

Delphinus
09-17-2013, 04:35 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/tropicorium-owner-and-employee-charged-with-federal-wildlife-crimes

Magickiwi
09-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Good luck to them with their legal battles. Hopefully they are on the right side of the law when the dust clears.

Also their webpage looks like it was cobbled together by my grandmother. :laluot_08:

HaZRaTTy
09-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Why are we saying good luck to people illegally taking these fish? The permits and regulations are to limit and keep populations from decreasing? I hope they throw the book at them.. The articles that you provided make them sound completely guilty?

If I'm missing something please explain but as I see it they're in the wrong, I mean 10 baby alligators? And whatever else? Come on even I know that would
Be illegal.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Agreed. Based on the "facts" reported in the articles, what they did was totally illegal and they knew it.

reefermadness
09-17-2013, 07:27 PM
I mean 10 baby alligators? And whatever else?nurse sharks too......

shady as hell.

HaZRaTTy
09-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Yup I agree, they knew exactly what they were Doing when they were taking these species.. I wish they would make some bigger penalties then 10 years max. I bet they won't even get any jail time.

Magickiwi
09-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Nurse sharks are illegal to trade in? I didn't know that.

HaZRaTTy
09-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Nurse sharks are illegal to trade in? I didn't know that.

I believe they arnt illegal after a certain size, but you need a shwack of permits. I think violating these is a federal offence so I may eat my words and they will serve jail time... I mean Nurse shark pups? I hope they weren't for the aquarium hobby. Maybe a huge zoo or someone with 6000gallons don't they grow to like 15ft at maturity.

Magickiwi
09-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Juvenile nurse sharks are sometimes sold in the saltwater aquarium trade.[5] However, since nurse sharks attain lengths in excess of ten feet they are far too large to be kept in home aquaria.[5] In an article for Aquarium Fish Magazine, Scott W. Michael criticizes the ethics of aquarists attempting to keep species beyond their spatial and financial means.[5] He also notes that most public aquaria are not interested in taking specimens that have outgrown home aquaria and that they should never be released into the wild.[5]

Over 10 feet long at maturity and are born 30cm! Seems pretty specific to zoo sized facilities.

Delphinus
09-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Why are we saying good luck to people illegally taking these fish? The permits and regulations are to limit and keep populations from decreasing? I hope they throw the book at them.. The articles that you provided make them sound completely guilty?

If I'm missing something please explain but as I see it they're in the wrong, I mean 10 baby alligators? And whatever else? Come on even I know that would
Be illegal.

Well, I say "I wish him luck" because on a personal level, I have met this person myself, shopped at his store a few times when I was sent to Michigan for work purposes, and at least at those 2 times, was impressed with his operation. Moreover, I am not a court of law, and further a person is innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

But yes, it sure sounds bad. This incident sounds completely reprehensible.