PDA

View Full Version : ID Please

Magickiwi
09-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi, found this little guy in my reef tank yesterday. At first I thought it was a broken shell that has been polished smooth but when I pulled it out of the tank it had gills and a white-pink flesh with a hole on the bottom.

Anyone seen this before?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/17/a9a9aze4.jpg

kien
09-17-2013, 03:06 PM
underwater UFO.

Magickiwi
09-17-2013, 03:22 PM
underwater UFO.

It's a mystery... I have no idea what it could be. I'm thinking it's a juvenile something because it just appeared yesterday.

kien
09-17-2013, 03:23 PM
It's a mystery... I have no idea what it could be. I'm thinking it's a juvenile something because it just appeared yesterday.

It's a snail of some sort. I've seen those shells on the beach and in bags of crushed coral but I don't think I've ever had one in my tank.

The truth is out there..

tang daddy
09-17-2013, 03:25 PM
That is a trap door for a snail, looks like a crab or hermit got to one of your snails.....

Magickiwi
09-17-2013, 03:27 PM
It's a snail of some sort. I've seen those shells on the beach and in bags of crushed coral but I don't think I've ever had one in my tank.

The truth is out there..

And it can stay for as long as it's not destructive. It's pretty cool to have something a little unique and unknown.

The texture and look of the shell is like very finely finished wood and there's a silverish ring along the outside. The top has a spiral that appears to have an opening in it. Possibly some sort of filter feeder?

Magickiwi
09-17-2013, 03:33 PM
That is a trap door for a snail, looks like a crab or hermit got to one of your snails.....

Hmm... I believe you may be correct sir. Damn, I thought I had a million dollar baby!

Time to start trapping and see what is in there I guess.

Aquattro
09-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Ya, it's the safety cap for a turbo snail. It could have just died, so don't stress out trying to catch a killer :)

Magickiwi
09-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Ya, it's the safety cap for a turbo snail. It could have just died, so don't stress out trying to catch a killer :)

I did lose one about two weeks ago. Not sure what actually got it but there is now a small blue legged hermit living in the shell. It's like a kid putting on daddy's suit :)

I know I have baby crabs in my tank, so the crab population might be getting high. I have two emerald crabs so I am hoping they belong to them. Worst case scenario they came from the monster rock crab in my sump and were sprayed around the tank by the return pump.