PDA

View Full Version : Piping configuration

The Guy
09-15-2013, 04:28 PM
I just bought a 120 gallon 48x24x25 Oceanic reef ready tank that has 2 holes drilled on the bottom the in each rear corner overflow, with the 90 Gallon I have now I'm using one of the new Speedwave 1320 DC return pumps, my question is this can I have my emergency 1" over flow drain in one of the corners and a 3/4" return and a 1" herbie overflow drain in the other corner with a 3/4" return splitting the return to the DT tank? The 1" herbie drain and 1" emergency overflow drain in my 90 Gallon from one rear overflow are handling the flow of the Speedwave 1320 now with a 5' lift into the tank,my flow is approx.950 GPH, so really all I'm wanting to do is split the return piping going back up inside each corner overflow box for better return flow. Does it really matter if the herbie and the emergency drains are in opposite corners? I can't see why it should.
Thoughts anyone!

Tom R
09-15-2013, 04:33 PM
I don't see any problem.

Tom R

Seth81
09-15-2013, 05:01 PM
I just bought a 120 gallon 48x24x25 Oceanic reef ready tank that has 2 holes drilled on the bottom the in each rear corner overflow, with the 90 Gallon I have now I'm using one of the new Speedwave 1320 DC return pumps, my question is this can I have my emergency 1" over flow drain in one of the corners and a 3/4" return and a 1" herbie overflow drain in the other corner with a 3/4" return splitting the return to the DT tank? The 1" herbie drain and 1" emergency overflow drain in my 90 Gallon from one rear overflow are handling the flow of the Speedwave 1320 now with a 5' lift into the tank,my flow is approx.950 GPH, so really all I'm wanting to do is split the return piping going back up inside each corner overflow box for better return flow. Does it really matter if the herbie and the emergency drains are in opposite corners? I can't see why it should.
Thoughts anyone!

I don't see any problems with having the emergency and primary stand pipes on opposite sides, just make sure you plump them idepedently all the way down into the sump.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-15-2013, 06:20 PM
As the others have stated, it should be fine Laurie. Not an issue at all where the emergency overflow pipe is as long as it is above the level regular down drain pipes, remains clear, and the outlet goes straight to your sump. That's really all you have to ensure so your Emergency overflow will work if you need it to.

Anthony

duncangweller
09-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Are you running the 90 and new 120?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

The Guy
09-16-2013, 01:26 AM
Are you running the 90 and new 120?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Hey Dunc:
No I'm not that rich the 90 comes out & 120 goes in. picking up the new tank Tuesday night, when it goes in is undecided as it's going to be a bit of work.
Good thing I haven't finished the built in cabinet yet cause now I have to modify slightly. :wink:

daplatapus
09-16-2013, 03:06 AM
In the corner where your emergency drain is, would there be any flow other than that going into the top of the overflow? My "over think it" mind makes me wonder if you wouldn't get water stagnating in the bottom of that overflow if there isn't.

albert_dao
09-16-2013, 03:08 AM
Well, there's the problem wherein the one side where the E-drains are won't get proper flow through.

mark
09-16-2013, 03:33 AM
Have my main in one overflow, emergency in another and works okay.

Running a trickle through the emergency but was also worried about going stagnate so drilled a 1/4" hole high on the standpipe, threaded in a elbow with a line going to bottom. Not sure if may a differance but my tile fish went AWOL for a month and just got fatter in the e-overflow.