PDA

View Full Version : Sockeye Salmon

Mak
08-31-2002, 10:23 PM
My uncle dropped of 3 large Salmon and I was wondering if this would be alright or even good for my tanks. I've already given them a small taste... they seem to have enjoyed it smile.gif .

EmilyB
08-31-2002, 10:57 PM
If you could please send one of those on ice to me, my fishes and I will test it for you....... http://www.egri.co.uk/smileys/lickedface.gif

Mak
08-31-2002, 11:02 PM
Thx Em,

Is this Knox unflavored gelatin the right stuff?

On my way to get the Seafood for your recipe ;) :D .

[ 31 August 2002, 19:04: Message edited by: MAK ]

reefburnaby
09-01-2002, 12:31 AM
Hi,

Oily fish, such as salmon, tuna and halbut, should not be used in a reef tank. The problem is that they introduce a bit of oil in to the tank. Since oil is not usually used by corals or fish, it becomes a substance that your skimmer needs to remove (sort of like oil from your hands).

Hence,I would not recommend it unless it was an emergency.

BUT...sockeye salmon tastes awesome (especially fresh stuff) on the grill or on the steamer.

- Victor.

Mak
09-01-2002, 01:05 AM
Thanks Victor, guess it's gonna be all BBQ'ed :D .

Emily, let me check on shipping costs...LOL ;) .

EmilyB
09-01-2002, 01:18 AM
Knox unflavored gelatin is the right stuff smile.gif

Some would disagree with not using oily fish, including Bob Fenner, who says the Omega fish oils/fatty acids are very beneficial.

Part of the gelatins purpose is to bind this. I suspect an awesome skimmer helps too, but I've always fed sea bass in the recipe for over three years without harm. Sea bass is VERY oily.

I tried salmon, but it wasn't as well liked. Salmon is used in Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef formula.

I'd go easy on oily fish depending on your tank details, maybe only put a wee bit in the recipe.

BBQ is ready and waiting Mak............ :D

Mak
09-01-2002, 02:20 AM
Wow!!! All that blended up Seafood STINKS. So I scrapped the Sea Bass (they had none) and used raw Scallops. Didn't use the Salmon either. The fish seem to like the finished product ( they better cause I got a $&*#load of it ).

And for all you married people, do not atempt this when the wife is home... maybe grab some air freshener as well.

Thanks Em, I always luv your posts ;) smile.gif :D . Maybe I'll try mailing you some Salmon tongue.gif ;) :D .

reefburnaby
09-01-2002, 02:35 AM
Hi,

Do you like sushi ? Sockeye salmon sashimi smile.gif

- Victor.

Mak
09-01-2002, 02:47 AM
Hehehe, I could make a $*&^load of Sushi too. My Uncle was trying to get me to eat it... no thanx :D . 2 of the 3 fish had Bear claw swipes on them... they and you, can have my share of Sushi if y'all would like :D .

billc
09-02-2002, 10:33 PM
Might try smoking them.. I don't think the inhabitants of your tank would go for it but they sure are tastey that way..