PDA

View Full Version : 90 Gallon Stocking order Help

Steve1971
09-11-2013, 06:49 PM
I've finally have had my tank up and running for about 7 weeks now and last week added a couple Turbo Snails and a couple Blue Legged Hermit Crabs. Now I'd like to get some fish!! Not sure as to what order but really want a couple the following:

Clown Fish Pair
Blenny or Goby
FoxFace or Blue spotted Rabbit Fish
Cardinal Fish
Longnose Hawkfish
Tang of some sort
Trigger Fish
Would this be a decent order and would all these guys get along?

Magickiwi
09-11-2013, 08:13 PM
The hawkfish and the trigger will eat everything in your aquarium.

Steve1971
09-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Thanks, I kind of thought that may happen with the Trigger but didn't know about the hawkfish. I had heard Chromis wouldnt do well eigher so was trying to steer away

Prariecanuck
09-11-2013, 11:01 PM
I'd start with the cardinal and clowns and the goby or blenny the foxface needs algae so let that start and add the tang last I'd steer clear of hawk fish and trigger if you like your inverts

Steve1971
09-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks I will do that

Madreefer
09-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Hawkfish will be fine and so will the trigger be fine. Depending on what kind of trigger. And yes speaking from actual experience. Hawkfish may eat your shrimp depending on the size of them and there is some triggers that will get along well with other tankmates. A foxface will also do well with sheets of nori and well....there's algae in every tank. Your stocking list is fine. Try liveaquaria.com for a starting point on researching your fish purchases

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Based on my experience:

Bluethroat, Sargassum and that family of triggers are reef-safe. Niger triggers tend to be reasonably reef-safe as well (at least towards fish and corals, not inverts). Stay away from Queen & Clown triggers - can become very voracious and vicious.

The rabbitfish will outgrow a 90g fairly quickly. A Kole or bristlemouth tang is smaller and slower growing, yet just as good for algae control in most cases.

Hawkfish tend to be fine except with the smallest fish, like little chromis. Large chromis and small hawkfish should be safe.

Anthony

Magickiwi
09-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Based on my experience:

Bluethroat, Sargassum and that family of triggers are reef-safe. Niger triggers tend to be reasonably reef-safe as well (at least towards fish and corals, not inverts). Stay away from Queen & Clown triggers - can become very voracious and vicious.

The rabbitfish will outgrow a 90g fairly quickly. A Kole or bristlemouth tang is smaller and slower growing, yet just as good for algae control in most cases.

Hawkfish tend to be fine except with the smallest fish, like little chromis. Large chromis and small hawkfish should be safe.

Anthony

Don't forget the crosshatch triggers. But all three kinds of triggers that can be considered reef safe are very expensive fish. Even the blue throats are >$100 and the crosshatches are closer to $600.

Madreefer
09-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Don't forget the crosshatch triggers. But all three kinds of triggers that can be considered reef safe are very expensive fish. Even the blue throats are >$100 and the crosshatches are closer to $600.

Haha that's not expensive. It's saltwater fish.:biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Around here, small female blue throats may go for as low as $40-45, with males $60+. Sometimes <2" females are even cheaper.

The only crosshatch I've seen offered for sale are usually too big already for any 90g, which is why I left it off the list. Blue throats are the smallest at 9" adult size, Sargassums at 10" and Crosshatch can reach over a foot (my friend had a very big one in his 300g years ago).

Any trigger will likely outgrow a 90g eventually but Blue throats are your best bet if you really want a trigger.

Steve1971
09-22-2013, 03:05 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. Going to pick up a pair of clowns tomorrow. :)