PDA

View Full Version : Need help with sumps

FWC
09-11-2013, 07:26 AM
So I'm looking at setting up a new tank, however a sump will be needed.

I've never used a sump before, and try as I might, they still manage to confuse me.

Notably, the tank I'm interested in is the cube in this classified add :

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100406&highlight=cube

So how exactly would the sump work for this tank ?? Like that would go where ??

tang daddy
09-11-2013, 08:02 AM
The thread had a few tanks, I am alittle confused which one you're referring to.

The best thing to do would be to list a size of the tank you want to start out with, next will be the stand. If your handy with a drill and chop saw then you could build a stand, for me I use 2x4 and double it up which is strong but leaves minimal space for a sump. What I am trying to get at is you have to plan this all out. How much room for a sump.

A sump can be as easy and as complitcated as you want it. I've seen sumps out of a square storage bin to CNC acrylic goodness. Again depends on budget... Mine is easy with 2 baffles.

I would suggest skimming through the tank journals reading and looking at pictures. There is lots of explanation to why and how people do what they do. If you want a sump to store equiptment it a full on refuge with pods, corals seahorses or whatever.... The world is yours!

Also I would suggest maybe starting your own journal and there are plenty of people on here willing to share knowledge and good advice to help you every. Step of the way!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-11-2013, 08:20 AM
If it is the 2' cube, then you'll probably have a cube shaped stand and should use a cube shaped sump as well. Probably building something like 20" x 20" will work for a sump or even 2' x 2', depending on how spacious the inside of your stand will be. I usually silicone to the bottom and sides one glass baffle to create a "skimmer box" which will maintain a constant water level. Generally 9-10" depth is what a lot of skimmers operate best at, but you should double check on this with the skimmer you plan to use. The water drains from the overflow into the skimmer box (use of filter micron sock is optional). I make the skimmer box large enough to hold a filter sock and the largest skimmer I'm likely to use. I also store my Phosban reactor and heater in this "skimmer box" section. The water then overflows the baffle into a refugium section (could also double as frag section) where you can store some small pieces of live rock, rubble and chaeto. I then would add another baffle that is elevated off the bottom by a cm or so. This last section is my return pump section and the raised baffle eliminates microbubbles (along with the live rock and chaeto acting as bubble traps). If building a cube sump, you may need to silicone a small piece of glass to the top of the first baffle to help guide the water into the refugium section and not the return pump section.

So for me, on a 20" x 20" sump, my skimmer box would be 14" x 20" and 9" tall. I would then divide the remaining sump area into a 6" x 12" refugium and a 6" x 8" return pump box. I would add an extra piece of glass along the 8" section shared by the skimmer box and pump box to guide the water into the refugium and not straight into the pump box.

I hope this description is not too complicated.

Good luck.

Anthony

hillegom
09-11-2013, 07:35 PM
All you ever wanted to know about sumps

http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html