PDA

View Full Version : Removing silicone

Coralgurl
09-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Is there an easy way to remove silicone? I'm trying to repair my sump by placing a piece of glass over the crack, which will in turn will take the pressure off the original glass.

I need to remove some of the silicone and holy hell it's not easy. The sump is full and operating except for the cracked section, dry and clean. I've got Orca underwater glue which I picked up at WAIS.

How much silicone do I need to remove to make this work?

Thanks

GoFish
09-11-2013, 02:30 AM
A new stainless razor blade on a 45 degree angle (those rectangular ones that come in the cardboard sleeve), several passes should do. I don't understand if this is inside or outside the tank? If outside I use acetone to clean up any haze... Good luck!

gregzz4
09-11-2013, 02:36 AM
I'd use 99% rubbing alcohol as I'd be afeared of what the acetone may leave behind
And the blades mentioned are these (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/single-edge-razor-blades-10-pack/972574)

Use them with dry hands as they are super sharp :biggrin: and can flip in your fingers

Coralgurl
09-11-2013, 02:37 AM
Glass is going on the inside of the sump, crack is on the outside.

gregzz4
09-11-2013, 02:46 AM
Are you needing to remove a bead or 3 ?
If so, use a razor knife to slice through it to the connecting glass, then do the same on the other panel
Now peel off the cut piece and scrape the residue off with the little blades

Is that the kind of answer you were looking for ?

brotherd
09-11-2013, 02:55 AM
Is there an easy way to remove silicone? I'm trying to repair my sump by placing a piece of glass over the crack, which will in turn will take the pressure off the original glass.

I need to remove some of the silicone and holy hell it's not easy. The sump is full and operating except for the cracked section, dry and clean. I've got Orca underwater glue which I picked up at WAIS.

How much silicone do I need to remove to make this work?

Thanks
enough to make sure the new glass is dead flat against the old glass.New silicone will not stick to old silicone.Both surfaces must be super clean and dry.

Coralgurl
09-11-2013, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the replies! I was using a knife :redface:, didn't work very well....

Will have to pick up the blades tomorrow. I just need to remove the edges and not all the silicone, enough to get the glass flat on the back and bottom. It's not to seal anything, just to support.

gregzz4
09-11-2013, 03:02 AM
A knife ?
"That's not a knife ... " :mrgreen:

Good luck

Coralgurl
09-11-2013, 03:24 AM
Now, now, it was a sharp one.:lol:....Jason had a few in his little tool box that worked better. He got it done.....